Title: Maxinquaye
Artist: Tricky
Release Date: 18/4/1995
Record Label: Island Records

Tracklisting:
1. Overcome
2. Ponderosa
3. Black Steel
4. Hell is Around the Corner
5. Pumpkin
6. Aftermath
7. Abbaon Fat Track
8. Brand New You're Retro
9. Suffocated Love
10. You Don't
11. Strugglin'
12. Feed Me

After having been a member of Massive Attack for the release of the trip hop defining album, Blue Lines, Tricky signed to Island Records as a solo artist and released his debut album, Maxinquaye, on the 18th of April 1995. Critics were (rightly) unanimous in their praise for the ground-breaking work, and it entered the UK album charts at No.3, hung around at the top and eventually went Gold.

Track 1, Overcome, is basically a reworking of Karmacoma, track 2 on Massive Attack's second album, Protection, which Tricky sang (and probably wrote) anyway.
Track 3, Black Steel, is a bizarre (in my opinion) cover of Black Steel in the hour of Chaos from It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back by Public Enemy, which somehow works.
Track 4, Hell is Around the Corner, is a reworking of Eurochild, which also appears on Protection. It also uses the same Isaac Hayes sample used by Portishead on Glory Box.

The album is named after Tricky's mother, Maxine Quaye. A few years ago, Finley Quaye claimed he was Tricky's cousin/uncle (different versions abound) and Tricky's mother's name would lend some credibility to the story (which Tricky vehemently denies to be true), although, as far as I know, the matter is still unresolved.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.