A person who tries to get a friend the hook-up. They usually have good intentions, but they can be annoying in cases..

For example, in the past two weeks, two guys have tried to tell me to uh, get my mack on with two seperate girls. Even though I'm not interested in either, each guy is relentless and refuses to let me choose my own fate.

A totally-off topic note: A girl that I know, who fits all the requirements and more has been dropping rather blatant hints. I have been ignoring them because I'm at a point in my life where I'd rather have a good friend than a lover. I'm not exactly sure why, though. I hoped to get into a good, veiled conversation with her about this tonight.. But I'm stuck on E2 instead. Woo-hoo.

A film starring Janeane Garofalo: she plays the assistant to a Boston politician who wants to capitalize on his Irish heritage. Janeane goes over to the ulde sod to find a good photo op for the politician. She lands in the midst of an annual matchmaking convention.

It turns out that the politician is not actually Irish at all, and the funniest scene is one in which some of the locals pretend to be the politician's dirt-poor family.

A cute film, and especially cute is the bit about knocking heads.

There are people out there who claim to be legendary matchmakers, with multiple stories of success -- "if (insert name here) hooks you up, you're set for life," etc.

One of said legendary matchmakers has had absolutely no success setting me up, and similar stories come from my friends who've gone to her as well -- totally absurd suggestions, attempts that have gone terribly wrong, etc. The conclusion I've come to, aided by my dad, is that matchmaking is a volume business -- success occurs through the number of trials. The many failures or patently absurd suggestions will eventually be written off, but the one success will never be forgotten.

Match"mak`er (?), n.

1.

One who makes matches for burning or kinding.

2.

One who tries to bring about marriages.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.