The Maschinenpistole 38, or MP 38 for short, was the premiere submachinegun in use by the German Wehrmacht
during World War II
The MP 38 entered German military
service in 1938, as its name suggests, and was built by Erfurt Maschinenwerk (ERMA) on the design of the MP 18. It featured a telescopic casing that contained the bolt, firing pin and return spring, which all could be taken out as a unit during disassembly. This protected the moveable parts from dirt.
The MP 38 used plastic
instead of wooden features in the grip. This combined with a folding butt made the weapon very manageable and light.
The MP 38 was soon phased out by the MP 40
, which entered service in 1940.
Like its predecessor, it was a stable gun-platform which offered the shooter accurate fire - even during prolonged bursts.
The often tended to jam becuase of the sensitive magazine/receiver interface when dirt entered the clip together with the ammunition, or the slightly elliptical 9mm parabellum
Round: 9mm Parabellum
Clip: 32 rounds.
Rate of fire: ~500 rounds per minute.
Action: Fully automatic only.
Back to German Infantry Weapons