1877-1943 American Painter and poet
He studied at the Cleveland School of Art and then in New York under William Merritt Chase and F. Luis Mora, and at the National Academy of Design.
In 1909, his work was shown in Gallery 291, owned by Alfred Stieglitz where he met Georgia O'Keeffe, John Marin, Arthur Dove. It was Stieglitz who subsequently sponsored a tenure in Europe.
In 1931 he was awarded a Guggenheim fellowship.
See Wassily Kandinsky, Walter Arensberg, Charles Demuth
The early part of his career was devoted to Abstract Art which included strips and checkerboards, circles and diamonds. His later work was realistic landscapes, particularly of Maine as well as a number of still lifes.
His work is part of the permanent collection of:
Arnason, H.H., History of Modern Art, Abrams, NY.
Last Updated 06.02.03