A traditional American Thankgiving
dessert during the colonial period.Ingredients
- 2 cups tart applesauce, sieved
- 3 tablespoons butter (preferred) or margarine, melted
- 1 cup sugar (white)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (Fresh please!)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell (Home made if possible, store bought is useable as well)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit.
- Combine applesauce, butter, sugar, and salt.
- Add lemon juice and rind to eggs, stir lightly.
- Combined apple and egg mixtures, stir until well blended.
- Bake to 450 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 275 and bake for one hour. Pie is done when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Let the pie cool completely before slicing and serving. It's best to let the pie 'age' (covered in the refrigerator) at least 24 hours before serving, the difference (and improvement) in taste is very, very noticeable. This is My Lady and I's favorite pie.