Nintendo 64 title featuring all your favorite Mario Brothers characters. I found this to a very fun and somewhat addicting golf game. The gameplay is fairly easy to understand with a low learning curve and all the needed information is accessible. While being easy to play the game does offer challenges. It's hard enough that if you manage to get a hole in one (which I've never done) you'll jump off your couch and scream "Oh yeah!!!", or something. The courses go from tame to pretty fantastic. The computer opponents do start to get frustratingly difficult though. It seems they had the great idea to include a miniature golf course, but didn't take any time on designing the holes which are just numbers and letters.

A Gameboy and Gameboy Color title developed by Nintendo and Camelot Software Planning.

Mario Golf combines golf simulation with elements of RPGs. For example, as well as playing one off games with existing players, including Mario and Luigi, it is possible to use the game's character creation features to take part in an interactive story mode in which competing in golf tournaments and completing challenges set by other characters earns experience points, which allow the player to increase their character's stats, such as drive power and shot accuracy, and unlock hidden features of the game, such as magic clubs.

The game is oriented around competitions at four golf clubs - Marion Club, your home club, not too challenging and set in the pleasant countryside, Palm Club - named after the palm trees of its warm tropical setting, slightly more challenging than Marion club but nothing that a new player shouldn't be able to handle, Dune Club, more challenging than Marion or Palm, in the middle of the arid desert, and Links Club, located by the sea. This is the hardest course to play due to strong sea breezes, sloping greens and abundant shrubbery...

Each club also has its own champion:


Puttz - Marion Club Champion
Grace - Palm Club Champion
Tiny - Dune Club Champion
Gene Yuss - Links Club Champion

Each club also has training facilities, including driving ranges, where you can have your swing examined (which helps when deciding how to allocate experience points) and putting greens, where you can practice putting at different angles and on various slopes.

The eventual aim of the game is to win all four club tournaments and become a worthy opponent for Mario, the greatest of all golfers. Mario Golf has enough depth to make you want to sit through the hours of play required to accomplish this. It's a game with something for everyone, even if you hate golf.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.