Large legal sized envelope, customarily of a orange-y yellow tan color (manila colored) usually for sending legal documents back and forth. Often has a nifty string tie thingy or sometimes a fragile metal closure which is designed to break after one use.

They make them with the metal closures now because the conspiracy of manila envelope makers want you buy more. The old nifty string closure manila envelope companies went out of business because people would buy one manila envelope and use it for the rest of their natural lives.

Waste is profit. Down with the man!

A little history of the term: Manila envelopes are called such because they were originally made of a coarse brown paper called Manila paper. Manila paper, in turn, was made of Manila hemp, or what the locals call abaca. Abaca is a plant that is native to the Philippines, and its fibers are used as raw material for a wide variety of products, including the aforementioned paper, rope, and textile.

The Philippines used to export a lot of abaca based paper, thus people started calling it Manila paper. Manila being the capital city and main trading port of the Philippines.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.