Written by Victor Frankl, this book outlines his psychiatric theory of logotherapy against the backdrop of his own Holocaust concentration camp experiences. It is divided into three sections: "Experiences in a Concentration Camp", "Logotherapy in a Nutshell", and "The Case for a Tragic Optimism." "Experiences in a Concentration Camp" presents Frankle's own experiences and hints at their relationship to his later development of logotherapy. "Logotherapy in a Nutshell" explains the theory that people's actions are motivated by a search for meaning in their lives. "The Case for a Tragic Optimism" (which was added to the book after the original was published) addresses seemingly hopeless situations and tries to show that there is always reason to hope.

Generally, this book is highly praised as inspirational and insightful. It is well and intelligently written. Many people who read this book declare it "the best they've ever read."

This is one of the most important books ever written, in my opinion.

When I want to give someone I care about a meaningful gift, I buy another copy of this book.

I believe it's relevant to everyone, because after all, we're all alive, aren't we? The meaning and significance of life is pretty fundamental to everyone.

I recommend this book more highly than probably anything else I've read. It is fascinating to read about a concentration camp experience through the eyes of a psychotherapist, and his explanation of logotherapy in the rest of the book is fascinating.

The most important concept I took from the book is that it's alright to be unhappy. Now, whenever I'm unhappy I just ask myself, "So what?" and that changes the entire perspective. I'm able to move forward and usually I'm not even unhappy anymore.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.