Product of germinating barley until its starches begin converting to complex sugars, and then baking to stop germination. Main ingredient in beer, and along with water, hops and yeast constitute the four acceptable ingredients according to the Reinheitsgebot.

A frozen drink made with milk and ice cream, similar to a milkshake except with malted milk added. A staple of soda fountains for decades...can be very good if you get it from a small-town drugstore outlet, or very mediocre if from a fast food type place such as Dairy Queen.

Malt is a truncation of the word maltose.

The malt in alcholic beverages is the same as in malted milk. In alcohol, the malt ends up as food for yeast. So, the malt in malted milk is sweet, while the malt in alcohol is turned into alcohol.

Malt (?), n. [AS. mealt; akin to D. mout, G. malz, Icel., Sw., & Dan. malt, and E. melt. &root;108. See Melt.]

Barley or other grain, steeped in water and dried in a kiln, thus forcing germination until the saccharine principle has been evolved. It is used in brewing and in the distillation of whisky.

 

© Webster 1913.


Malt, a.

Relating to, containing, or made with, malt.

Malt liquor, an alcoholic liquor, as beer, ale, porter, etc., prepared by fermenting an infusion of malt. -- Malt dust, fine particles of malt, or of the grain used in making malt; -used as a fertilizer. " Malt dust consists chiefly of the infant radicle separated from the grain." Sir H. Davy. -- Malt floor, a floor for drying malt. -- Malt house, ∨ Malthouse, a house in which malt is made. -- Malt kiln, a heated chamber for drying malt.

 

© Webster 1913.


Malt, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Malted: p. pr. & vb. n. Malting.]

To make into malt; as, to malt barley.

 

© Webster 1913.


Malt, v. i.

To become malt; also, to make grain into malt.

Mortimer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.