Malaspina University-College is a public, comprehensive, four-year institution established in 1989, with a student population of 13,500 (5941 full-time equivalent), serving the region of central Vancouver Island and coastal British Columbia.

The main campus is located in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada, on the slopes of Mount Benson. Regional campuses are located in Duncan (Malaspina University-College Cowichan Campus), Powell River (Malaspina University-College Powell River Campus), and Parksville-Qualicum (Malaspina University-College Parksville Campus).

Students at Malaspina University-College are represented by the Malaspina Students Union, local 61 of the Canadian Federation of Students.

As specified in the BC College and Institute Act, the governance structure of Malaspina University-College is composed of a Board of Governors and an Education Council with shared responsibilities.

Malaspina offers academic, applied, career/technical, vocational, and developmental programs leading to degrees, diplomas, and certificates. University transfer programs have been established with the University of Victoria, the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, and the University of Northern British Columbia.

The institution prides itself on smaller class sizes, a focus on international education, and on contract training for business and industry. Malaspina University-College is one of the largest public employers in the City of Nanaimo.

The current president of Malaspina University-College is Rich Johnston, and the institution's sports team is the Mariners. Ten per cent of Malaspina's student population is of Aboriginal ancestry.

The institution is named after Italian explorer Alexandro Malaspina.

See also: British Columbia's Universities.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.