Note: For Windows users only (95/98)...
Getting tired of the old "Windows clouds"? Don't like your computer showing you that bland picture telling you to wait while your computer shuts down, or that it's ok to turn your computer off? Well, if you follow these instructions, you can make your own pictures to substitute for the bland windows screens. Here's how you do it:

Step One: Choose three pictures. Any size, resolution, density, it doesn't matter if you have a graphic editor (Adobe Photoshop, or the like).

Step Two: Resize them to 320 x 400 pixels, and save them as bitmaps.

Step Three: Use "Find" from the start menu to locate "logo.sys, logos.sys, and logow.sys" logo.sys is the startup screen. Rename it so that it won't be overwritten by your new screen. logos.sys is the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen. Rename that as well. Do the same with logow.sys, which is the "Please wait while windows shuts down" screen.

Step Four: Launch MS Paint (Under Accessories). Open each one of your pre-sized bitmaps, and save them as 256 color bitmaps, making sure to name each one whatever screen they would replace. (i.e. Save your startup screen as "logo.sys" - 256 color bitmap)

Step Five: Place your new logo.sys in the root directory (C:\). Place the other two in the C:\Windows directory.

Test to see if it worked by shutting down and restarting your computer. Enjoy!

Step 1 (a):Pad the image so that the width:height ratio is 4:3. Eg., 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768.

The reason for this is so your image doesn't get warped. When the image is displayed, it is stretched to your screen's resolution, which is in a 4:3 ratio.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.