Mago was the youngest brother of Hannibal and played a significant part in the Second Punic War.

Mago travelled with Hannibal across the alps in 218 B.C.. He was given the command of the ambush forces at the Battle of Trebia, that played the key role in the battle. He also took part in the Battle of Cannae.

In 215 B.C. he travelled to Spain where he joined Carthaginian forces. He was an important figure in the events that ran up to the deaths of Gnaeus Cornelius Scipio Calvus and Publius Cornelius Scipio.

In 206 B.C. Mago was defeated by Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus at Ilipa. He then tried to seize Carthago Nova, but failed and then moved on to attack the Balearic Islands. He failed and in 205 B.C. he sailed to Genua. In Italy he recruited an army and marched to the Po valley. Here he was defeated by the Romans in 203 B.C.. Mago himself was severely injured in the battle.

Mago was ordered along with Hannibal to return to Carthage in 203 B.C. to defend against Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus, however he died of his wounds on the boat back to Africa.


Mago was also the name of a Carthaginian who founded a powerful family with almost monarchical power between 550-450 B.C.. He fought on Sardinia to reinforce Carthage's control of the island. He is also credited with switching the Carthaginian army from a citizen levy to mercenaries under Carthaginian commanders.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.