"It kind of redeems the city, doesn't it?"
"It redeems the whole state!"

Overheard at a Japanese resteraunt in Columbus, July 4th, 2002


The Macon Whoopee- say the name aloud and the gleeful turn of phrase inherent on the title becomes immediately evident- was the Professional Hockey team of Macon, Georgia. They competed in the Easy Coast Hockey League1, and their NHL affiliate team was the Florida Panthers. They played their home games in Macon Coliseum, which seats 7,100 people.

The Macon Whoopee logo was a picture of an angry, hockey stick wielding whooping crane2 next to a small bee. Both of these are in front of a green leaf. The word MACON extended on a banner from the bird's hockey stick and below the bird was the word WHOOPEE.

Address: Macon Whoopee Hockey Club, 200 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217
Phone: (478) 741-1000
Fax: (478) 464-0655
Website: http://www.maconwhoopee.com

2001-02 Roster:

#4 - Ryan Gillis
#5 - Jason Metcalfe
#6 - Johan Olsson
#8 - Nic Beaudoin
#16 - Jarrett Thompson
#17 - Aniket Dhadphale
#19 - Travis Dillabough
#21 - David Brosseau
#22 - Milt Mastad
#23 - Krikor Arman
#24 - Jason Stewart
#26 - Brendan Brooks
#27 - Rick Emmett
#31 - Evan Lindsay
#35 - Chris Madden
#41 - Kris Waltze
#58 - Mike Green
#89 - Casey Kesselring
#98 - Michel Periard

Head Coach - Gord Dineen
Equiptment Manager - Kris Nichols
Athletic Trainer - Mike Hannegan

Why the past tense? The Elmore-Tuttle Sports Group has leased the team to Jean Gagnon and Michel Cadrin and before the 2002-2003 season begins the team is moving to Lexington, Kentucky.3 No news on what their new name is going to be, but nothing can ever beat the Macon Whoopee.


1Jurph says re The Macon Whoopee: I bet you meant East Coast Hockey League, but WOW what a typo...
2Thanks to kiladogg for the info, I thought it looked like an egret.
3The Cincinnati Enquirer, Saturday, June 29, 2002

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.