Country bordering on Serbia, Bulgaria, Albania, and Greece. Often referred to as "The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" (or FYROM) to avoid confusion with the historically more well-known province of Greece, and in 1995 the two countries actually signed a treaty resolving their dispute over "symbols and certain constitutional provisions" (CIA World Handbook). Some of Macedonia's border with Serbia is still disputed.

Macedonia is a landlocked Balkan state of Europe. Considered by many to be a developing nation, developing mostly out of a long history of war and political conflict. It has a population of just over two million people most are Macedonian, Albanian, Turkish, Gypsies or Serbs. Most are Orthodox Catholic though abut a third of the country is Muslim. The government strives to be democratic (unitary multiparty republic ), having drafted a constitution in 1991

Agriculture and fishing (on the lakes in the south) are the primary exports.

National Anthem (English language version):
composed in 1944 or 1943 by Vlado Maleski, a poet from Struga.

Today on Macedonia, is born
the new sun of liberty
The Macedonians fight
for their own rights!
The Macedonians fight
for their own rights!

For now on, the flag flies
(that) of the Krushevo Republic
Goce Delchev, Pitu Guli
Dame Gruev, Sandanski!
Goce Delchev, Pitu Guli
Dame Gruev, Sandanski!

The burning Macedonian forests sing
(of) new songs, new news
Macedonia is liberated
Liberty lives!
Macedonia is liberated
Liberty lives!

Makedonia before 1991 when the name became disputable and even now IS the name of a Greek province, located on the northern part of the country. It borders with F.Y.R.O.M. and Bulgaria, while the "capital" of it is Thessaloniki.


The name is derived from the Doric word μακεδνός (makethnos) meaning tall. In the ancient times, the inhabitants of Makedonia were among the tallest in the Hellenic region, thus the name indicating the province as the land of the tall.


In Greece emotions are negative towards the use of the name Macedonia, since there is the underlying fear that if and when the name is accepted by any greek government, then FYROM might claim territories that are part of Makedonia.


_____________________________________________________________

This is not a node to make any statements on the issue of the name, but an etymology to the word macedonia, as well a clarification on the public view of the issue in Greece.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.