A MUX is a Multi-User-eXperience. More advanced than MUSH code, it is a place to hang out on... there are quite of few of them, too. Basically, they got their start in the early 90's, inspired perhaps from the Infocom text-only games.

A MUX is also an abbv. for multiplexer: a device that sends out multiple, simultaneous signals over a physical circuit to another device that demultiplexes the signals at that end.

The MUX as a multi-user text game is played using the TinyMUX server.

A MUX or multiplexer is a digital combinational system (digital circuit component) used to select one from several binary (1 or 0) signals. An 2^N-to-1 MUX takes 2^N inputs and selects one of them depending on N control signals. A MUX can be made using a few AND and OR gates.

For example, suppose we have a chip with an 8-to-1 MUX. This device allows us to select one from 8 bits, which we will call I0, I1... I7. In order to select one of the inputs, we need something which tells us which one to choose, and that must be, binarily speaking, three bits, because with three bits we can code the numbers 0 to 7. The rest is obvious: we pass a number as the MUX's control signal, for example 011 (3) and the MUX's only output will match the corresponding input bit, in this case I3.

Another digital system named DEMUX does just the opposite (see DEMUX), and is the base for decoders.

Mux (?), n. [Cf. Mixen.]

Dirt; filth; muck.

[Prov. Eng.]

ose.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mux, v. t.

To mix in an unitidy and offensive way; to make a mess of.

[Prov. Eng.; Colloq. U.S.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.