miswart = M = mobo

MMF //

[Usenet; common] Abbreviation: "Make Money Fast". Refers to any kind of scheme which promises participants large profits with little or no risk or effort. Typically, it is a some kind of multi-level marketing operation which involves recruiting more members, or an illegal pyramid scam. The term is also used to refer to any kind of spam which promotes this. For more information, see the Make Money Fast Myth Page.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

A threesome with two males and one female. This variant of group sex is nowhere near as popular as the MFF, which virtually every red-blooded young heterosexual male fantasizes about at some point, but it does show up from time to time. MMFs come in two flavors, one relatively common and one extremely rare:

1. Heterosexual MMF. Both men have sex with the woman, enjoying double penetrations, oral tradeoffs, oral/anal and oral/vaginal combos, but they never, ever, EVER so much as touch each other (because THAT would be ICKY!). This type of MMF shows up in porno mags quite regularly, no doubt because it's kinky but relatively cheap (since male models cost much less than females do).

2. Pansexual MMF. Everybody does everybody, in as many ways and as many positions as creativity and flexibility allow. Typical poses include the double blowjob, in which the woman and one guy fellate the other guy; the reverse cowgirl oral, in which the woman and one guy perform the reverse cowgirl while the other guy laps away at both of their naughty bits; and the double fuck (or triple fuck, depending on your perspective), in which the Lucky Woman is penetrated by Guy 1, who is in turn penetrated by Guy 2. This sort of MMF is extraordinarily rare in porn and presumably in real life (I wouldn't know about that), because it requires two bisexual males and a woman who doesn't mind watching the guys go at it or boffing a guy who's just boffed another guy. If you're looking to fill an unfilled niche (heh...sorry) in the porn business, this is what you'll want to produce.

MMF is also the common abbreviation for multi-mode fiber - a variant of fiber optic used in data and voice networking.

MMF is the working-man's fibre - cheap (well, cheapER then single-mode fiber or SMF), (relatively) easy to produce and quite reliable. It runs at a wavelength of 62.5/125um (that's nanometers I believe) and has a variety of advantages.

MMF can run individual segments of both Ethernet and Fast Ethernet at lengths of up to 500m (plain old meters) - however is designated as 10BaseF and 100BaseFX respectively to show its Fiber nature rather than Twisted Pair origins. While this helps overcome the 100m limit distance problems of Twisted Pair, it does raise the cost of installation.

MMF is also full duplex - each fiber in the MMF pair is one-way, leading to a few cabling misunderstandings as you get the pairs the wrong way (RX-RX, TX-TX). As a result you can get good speed benefits in network interface cards that can handle full duplex without resorting to additional infrastructure.

Being optically based, you can run MMF with impunity in area with high electromagnetic noise. Great if you are looking to operate in ungrounded, electrically noisy environments.

MMF can be readily converted for data transmission - 10BaseF to 10BaseT and 100BaseFX to 100BaseTX media converters are readily available. Allied Telesyn make good quality, reliable media converters (the AT-MC12/13 and AT-MC101XL respectively) with the full variety of termination.

MMF is terminated using the standards:

  • ST - each fiber strand has a rounded, bayonet-style connector similar to BNC (Coax) cabling, but much smaller and very secure (no trip disconnections!)
  • SC - each fiber strand has a square connector for simple connection - held only by insertions friction - more popular nowadays than ST
  • MTRJ - a relatively new phenomenon, it is a compact all-in-one connector, the two fibers are fused in to one single plug held with a built-in clip. Great economy on space, but totally incompatible with other termination points (you CAN get ST-SC in-line converters)
Additionally, MMF can be used for optical sources like security cameras, your MiniDisc or high-quality surround sound without your other speaker wires interfering ;-) and realtively cheap optical analogue signal processors (FAR cheaper than digital/data signal processors).

Overall MMF has lots of advantages and few disadvantages - mainly price and being fragile, as any fiber is. So remember - look out for your orange friend - the unofficial standard cladding for MMF is a bright, cheery orange!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.