The standard US Military fragmentation grenade since right after Vietnam. The M67 is described by the 1997 Guidebook for Marines:


  • Body - Steel sphere.
  • Filler - 6.5 ounces of Composition B. (versus the 5.5 ounces of Comp. B in the M61 Frag Grenade)
  • Fuse - M213.
  • Weight - 14 ounces (Versus 16 ounces of the M61 Frag Grenade).
  • Safety clip - Yes.
  • Capabilities - Can be thrown 40 meters by an average Marine. The effective casualty-producing radius is 15 meters.
  • Color/markings - Olive drab body with a single yellow band at the top. Nomenclature and or lot number markings are in yellow.
  • Warning: Although the killing radius is 5 meters and the casualty-producing radius of this grenade is 15 meters, fragments can disperse as far away as 230 meters.

A standard Marine or Army infantryman gets 4 of these grenades. These, like all other casualty-producing (fragmentation) hand grenades have a fuse of 4-5 seconds (it is variable between that time; it's usually a good idea to throw it after less than 3 seconds). There is a practice version of the same grenade, the M69 practice grenade, that, rather than exploding killer fragments, simply poofs out smoke. The M61 frag grenade this is now used in place of was shaped like a smooth pineapple, rather than the sphere of the M67, which could hold more explosive in such a space. Both grenades, however, are little machines of death.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.