Pulmonaria officinalis

Also known as Jerusalem cowslip, Jerusalem sage, maple lungwort, spotted comfrey and spotted lungwort. Found in Europe and northen U.S.A., this perennial plant grows in shady areas of the wild, and is also cultivated. Bristly stems grow from the horizontal creeping rootstock. The plant grows dark green leaves and flowers which turn from rose-coloured to blue. These bloom during March to May, and both colours are found on the plant simultaneously.

This herb has astringent, demulcent, emollient and expectorant properties. The tea is good for diarrhea, hemorrhoids, respiratory ailments, coughs and hoarseness. A lungwort decoction may be helpful for lung problems. For external use, the plant is effective on all kinds of wounds.

Lung"wort` (?), n. Bot. (a)

An herb of the genus Pulmonaria (P. officinalis), of Europe; -- so called because the spotted appearance of the leaves resembles that of a diseased lung.

(b)

Any plant of the genus Mertensia (esp. M. Virginica and M. Sibirica) plants nearly related to Pulmonaria. The American lungwort is Mertensia Virginica, Virginia cowslip.

Gray.

Cow's lungwort mullein. -- Sea lungwort, Mertensia maritima, found on the seacoast of Northern Europe and America. -- Tree lungwort, a lichen (Sticta pulmonacea) growing on trees and rocks. The thallus is lacunose, and in appearance somewhat resembles the lungs, for diseases of which it was once thought a remedy.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.