The largest city in the Texas Panhandle, with a population of approximately 250,000 people. It is the county seat of Lubbock County and the home of Texas Tech University. Other than the college, which is the area's largest employer, the economy is driven by agriculture (especially cotton), hospitals, and light industry -- the city keeps trying to jump-start its fledgling high-tech industry, but with limited success.

The city was founded in 1890 when two groups of settlers agreed to abandon their current homes (known as Old Lubbock and Monterey) and combine into a new settlement. They named their new home after the county itself, which was named for Thomas S. Lubbock, a former Texas Ranger and the brother of Francis R. Lubbock, who was the governor of Texas during the Civil War.

Weather is generally mild, with summer temperatures far cooler and less humid than other parts of the Lone Star State. Winters can get quite chilly, though areas further to the north in the Texas Panhandle are much, much colder. Lubbock has a reputation as a very, very windy city, and in fact, winds in springtime are pretty darn blustery -- strong dust storms are also common during the spring. Heck, I've seen some dust storms that were absolutely terrifying in scope and intensity, though the really big ones are pretty darn rare.

The city has a reputation for cranking out lots of great musicians -- Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, the Maines Brothers Band, Natalie Maines, Waylon Jennings, Delbert McClinton, Terry Allen, and Sonny Curtis are just some of the musicians who have come from the Lubbock area, and the music scene is still fairly vibrant (Yeah, there are more bands in Austin, Texas, but ya know, most of those bands aren't native to Austin. Austin gets its bands by scavenging them from other cities). Shopping's pretty good -- as the largest city between Dallas and Albuquerque, everything from the mall to the bookstores to the comics stores to the game stores to the department stores have to be damn good, or they'll lose business to the bigger cities.

However, the landscape is very flat, the spring dust storms can be quite uncomfortable, there are no package stores in town (they're all located about 10-15 minutes outside the city limits), folks are very conservative, and local politics tend to be dominated by Christianists and aginners (If it costs money, they're agin' it).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.