Muslim Minister, always with one foot on the edge of acceptability. Keeper of the rage. Speaker of the atrocities of the African Holocaust words shoot from his mouth like fireballs, making the mainstream sigh with relief when any other Black man steps towards leadership. They think He could be the only one they've got,
Thank our Christian God he's not!

Advocate of a homeland for diasporic Africans. Perpetual reminder of what would happen if Black folks ever got ANGRY.
Former calypso singer who sang under the name "The Charmer" during the 1950s. He published four known records. Online clips of these songs may be found at www.fadetoblack.com

The Charmer Discography

Calypsos from the West Indies

1.BACK TO BACK, BELLY TO BELLY - (Charmer)
2.THE NAUGHTY FLY - (Duke Of Iron)
3.IS SHE IS, OR IS SHE AIN'T - (Charmer)
4.STONE COLD MAN - (Charmer)
5.TIE UP ME DRESS - (Duke of Iron)
6.TRINIDAD ROAD MARCH - (Charmer)
1.MERENGUE JENNY - (Duke Of Iron)
2.MAMMA ME BELLY IT HURTS ME - (Lord Beginner)
3.WIDE SCREEN - (Duke Of Iron)
4.LOUISE - (Beginner)
5.WASH YOUR HANDS AND FINGERNAILS - (Lion)
6.CHINEE CHILDREN CALL ME DADDY - (Mighty Terror)

The Charmer

1.DON'T TOUCH ME NYLON- (Charmer)
2.DON'T LET MOMMA KNOW- (Charmer)
3.UGLY WOMAN - (Charmer)
4.FEMALE BOXER - (Charmer)
1.BROWN SKIN GAL - (Charmer)
2.MARY ANN - (Charmer)
3.FIRE DOWN THERE - (Charmer)
4.HOLD 'IM JOE - (Charmer)

Calypsos Too Hot To Handle

1.KITCH - (Kitchener)
2.BIG BAMBOO - (Duke Of Iron)
3.MURIEL & DE BUG - (Kitchener)
4.I LEFT HER BEHIND FOR YOU - (Duke of Iron)
5.HE LIKES IT SHE LIKES IT - (Hayden)
6.PARAKEETS - (Duke of Iron)
1.MOMMIE OUT DE LIGHT - (Marie Bryant)
2.DON'T TOUCH ME NYLON - (The Charmer)
3.IS SHE IS, OR IS SHE AIN'T - (The Charmer)
4.DON'T TOUCH ME TOMATO - (Marie Bryant)
5.MUSIC LESSON- (Duke Of Iron)
6.POSTMAN - (Duke Of Iron)

Let Us Unite

1.LET US UNITE, 5:28
2. LET US UNITE, 3:48
1.BENEFIT OF UNITY, 6:47
2 BENEFIT O UNITY, 4:49

The Man and the Muslim

Louis Farrakhan was born in New York City in 1933. His birth name was Louis Eugene Walcott. He was raised in Boston, Massachusetts and worked as a calypso singer in the 1950's under the name of "The Charmer" (discography in dragoon's writeup.) In 1955 he met Malcolm X, through whom he was introduced to the Nation of Islam. At the urging of Malcolm he joined the organization and became a minister, dropping his last name to become Minister Louis X.

Farrakhan rose in power in the Nation of Islam quickly. In the 1960's, when a dispute arose between Malcolm X and Elijah Muhammad (the Nation's leader) Farrakhan was an outspoken backer of Muhammad. After the assasination of Malcolm X, Farrakhan became the leader of a large mosque in New York City. He became a principal leader of the Nation of Islam until Elijah Muhammad's death in 1975. When Elijah's son Wallace assumed control of the Nation of Islam, he changed the group's focus from black separatism to fundamental, orthodox Islam. Farrakhan took issue with these changes and left the group, now called the Muslim American Society.

The Minister and the Demagogue

Farrakhan re-created the Nation of Islam under his own leadership, emphasizing black separatism and self-reliance for black people across America. Under his leadership the Nation grew phenomenally, building new mosques across the nation. Using messages of mistrust of whites and reliance on their own race, Farrakhan attracted many young blacks from urban areas to his cause. Political controversy surrounded Farrakhan. He was quoted as calling Judaism a "gutter religion" and Adolf Hitler "a great man". Many accused him of demagoguery and of using the influence of race to gain power for himself. Farrakhan continued despite these attacks, however, eventually organizing the 1995 Million Man March in Washington, D.C..

In 2000, after a long ordeal with prostate cancer, Farrakhan reemerged into the public eye with a reconciliation to Wallace Muhammad (now named Warith Deen Muhammad) the leader of the Muslim American Society. Pledging to adhere more strictly to orthodox Islam, Farrakhan nevertheless continues to be an advocate of black welfare and identity everywhere, and a leader to those who believe in his message.

Sources

"Farrakhan, Louis." Microsoft Encarta Online Encyclopedia 2002. http://encarta.msn.com © 1997-2002 Microsoft Corporation.

"Farrakhan, Louis." The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright © 2002 Columbia University Press.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.