In 1769, a Spanish expedition in California came across a river that they named "El Rio de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula: "The River of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of Porciuncula." Twelve years later, 12 families settled in the area and named their community 'El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula', after the nearby river. In later years, the city became known as the Ciudad de Los Angeles, "City of Angels." Interestingly, it did not become a major city in California for quite some time - it was practically a provincial backwater at first.

Some cool things to read and watch about Los Angeles:
- The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
- The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
- Chinatown starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, directed by Roman Polanski
- Blade Runner: the Director's Cut starring Harrison Ford and Sean Young, dir. by Ridley Scott
- Repo Man starring Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton, dir. by Alex Cox
- L.A. Story starring Steve Martin
- The Big Lebowski

The Districts of the City of Los Angeles

  • Sylmar
  • Granada Hills
  • Porter Ranch
  • Sunland-Tujunga
  • Mission Hills
  • Arleta
  • Pacoima
  • Chatsworth
  • Northridge
  • Sepulveda
  • Panorama City
  • Sun Valley
  • Van Nuys
  • Reseda
  • Canoga Park
  • North Hollywood
  • Woodland Hills
  • Encino
  • Tarzana
  • Sherman Oaks
  • Studio City
  • Toluca Lake
  • Brentwood
  • Pacific Palisades
  • Beverly Crest
  • Bel-Air
  • West Los Angeles
  • Hollywood
  • Marina del Rey
  • Westwood
  • Palms
  • Wilshire
  • Mar Vista
  • Westchester
  • Watts
  • Playa del Rey
  • South Central Los Angeles
  • Wilmington
  • Harbor City
  • San Pedro
  • Westlake
  • West Adams
  • Leimert Park
  • Central City
  • El Sereno
  • Boyle Heights
  • Silverlake
  • Baldwin Hills
  • Port of Los Angeles
  • Echo Park



Cities Annexed by Los Angeles




Some Random Facts about Los Angeles, and the Area in General

  • The Los Angeles Mafia was known as the "Mickey Mouse Mafia" because of its utter inablity to maintain order among its ranks.
  • The city ranks 34th in world population.
  • The area as a whole ranks 7th in world population
  • Los Angeles was the scene of a bizarre "air raid" in February 1942 (See: Los Angeles Air Raid)
  • Near the end of the 19th Century, Los Angeles County used to comprise of...
  • The East Los Angeles Interchange is the world's busiest freeway interchange.
  • The world's most complex freeway interchange is the Orange Crush (In, where else, Orange County)
  • It is said that the LAPD has enough manpower that it could quite possibly be the world's 5th largest army.
  • Los Angeles used to be the 2nd, and at one point, maybe even the largest car manufacturing area in the United States. The Arab Oil Crisis ended all that and in 1992 General Motors shut down its Van Nuys plant, the last in the L.A. area.
  • Lockheed Martin's famed Skunk Works divsion was originally located in Burbank (Now it's in Palmdale).
  • During World War II Jack Warner (Yes, of Warner Brothers) was afraid that the Japanese might mistake his studios as the Skunk Works, so he had big large letters painted on saying "LOCKHEED" pointing toward the place. The government made him take it off. Patriotic, huh?
  • The former telephone company GTE (Merged into Verizon) once published a telephone directory for Sierra Madre listing no home numbers.
  • Following the 200th anniversary of the founding of Los Angeles, descendants of the original settlers have made an annual walk called Los Pobladores (The town's people) 200.




Landmarks of the Los Angeles Area (Work in Progress)




Los Angeles Area Universities & Colleges

  • California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly)
      Cal Poly
      3801 West Temple Ave.
      Pomona, CA 91768
  • University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
      UCLA
      <Department>
      1147 Murphy Hall
      Box 951436
      Los Angeles, CA 90095-1436
  • Pomona College
      Pomona College
      333 N. College Way
      Claremont, CA 91711




Local Access Television Stations of the Greater Los Angeles Area

    Channel (Callsign): Network/Owner

  • Channel 2 (KCBS): CBS
  • Channel 4 (KNBC): NBC
  • Channel 5 (KTLA): The WB Network (Owned by Tribune Entertainment).
  • Channel 7 (KABC): ABC
  • Channel 9 (KCAL): Local station (Run/Owned by Young Broadcasting).
  • Channel 11 (KTTV): FOX
  • Channel 13 (KCOP): UPN (Infamous for many years as being a low quality network.)
  • Channel 30 (KPXN): Christian Based Network
  • Channel 56 (KDOC): Local station.
  • Channel 24, 28, 54, 56, 58: PBS (Channel 58 is owned by the Los Angeles Unified School District)
  • Channel 22 (KWHY), 46 (KFTR), 52 (KVEA), 62 (KRCA): Spanish Language Channels
  • Channel 18 (KSCI): Asian Languages Channel
  • Channel 44 (KXLA): 24/7 Infomercials




Former (In italics) & Current US Highways in the Los Angeles Area




The Founding of Los Angeles

Los Angeles was built as part of a plan (Including the city of Santa Barbara) by Felipe de Neve, at that time the Spanish Governor of California, to strengthen Spain's claim to Alta California as well as keep the area's military garrisons well stocked. His choice for for the was a spot that Father Juan Crespi, a Franciscan priest who was part of the Gaspar de Portola Expedition had recommended. His idea was approved in December 1779 by Viceroy Bucareli and Commandant General de la Croix under the authority of King Carlos III with Lieutenant Governor Don Fernando Rivera y Moncada, in charge of find soliders and settlers.

Soon after recieving approval, de Neve made detail maps of the new settlement. However, no matter how good the plans were, they were utterly moot without settlers and soldiers. By August 1780 Rivera y Moncada had already gained a good sum (45) of soldiers for the journey, however, he only gathered up 14 settlers, including 2 who disappeared by the following month. Why were there so few settlers? At the time, Southern Calfornia was not the sprawling urban area that it is now, it was harsh and desert-like. Rumors also spread that the soliders in the area were not paid which led to even greater worries from prosective settlers.

Nonetheless, on Feburary 2nd, 1781, 17 escorting soldiers and 12 settlers left Alamos, Sinaloa and proceeded by ship to Loreto, Baja California. It was there that some members of the settlement party were forced to stay due to a smallpox outbreak. Those who were strong enough, left for the San Gabriel Mission, arriving there on June 9, 1781 and a 2nd party arriving on July 14th.

On August 18th the final party of settlers arrived, with the exception of one who was still sick with smallpox and later moved to Santa Barbara instead. A little less than a month later, El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles* was established on September 4th and named after the river adjacent to which it was built.


* El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula was never the name of the city in offical documents, but it was the name.

Sources

http://www.losangelesalmanac.com/
http://tv.yahoo.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.