Loosestrife - Lythrum salicara

Also known as long purples, milk willow-herb, purple loosestrife, purple willow-herb, rainbow weed, soldiers, spiked loosestrife, spiked willow-herb and willow sage. This is a bushy perennial plant from Europe. It has a square, hairy stem which grows 2 to 4 feet high. It has downy leaves, and purple six-petaled flowers which bloom from June to August.

Loosestrife is astringent and styptic. It is useful for diarrhea, including that which is associated with major illnesses such as dysentry and typhoid fever. An infusion of the plant can be used to treat gastroenteritis, and works internally without causing constipation. Loosestrife sometimes helps to stop internal bleeding.

Loose"strife` (?), n. Bot. (a)

The name of several species of plants of the genus Lysimachia, having small star-shaped flowers, usually of a yellow color.

(b)

Any species of the genus Lythrum, having purple, or, in some species, crimson flowers.

Gray.

False loosestrife, a plant of the genus Ludwigia, which includes several species, most of which are found in the United States. -- Tufted loosestrife, the plant Lysimachia thyrsiflora, found in the northern parts of the United States and in Europe.

Gray.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.