You might think you live in your country, or your state or city or house. On an even smaller scale, you might think you live in your body. But the truth is more tightly packed and solidly confined still. Really, you live in your brain. All of your thoughts and experiences, all of your memories and personality quirks, are contained within the few pounds of organ-meat between your ears.

But, in one of the great ironies of existence, your brain is itself a largely unfeeling thing. Though your body passes tactile sensations to it from every nervously connected surface, the brain can't feel itself. Indeed, this holds for most of your bodily experience. Your body is made of cells which, internally are warm and wet and sort of oozy. Yet your experience of existence is not one of always feeling all the wetness within all your cells (indeed, this you only feel externally when you bleed on yourself or otherwise leak cellular material). If you pause for a moment to feel how your tongue feels sitting inside your mouth (feels, mind you, not tastes), you might have some inkling of how most every part of your internal body would feel to almost every other part. Our brains are simply incapable of feeling their own internal squishiness, despite being made of it. Even the most intense headache is not an instance of the brain feeling itself; it is the nerves in areas surrounding the brain passing information into it, sometimes in a roundabout way.

And, on perhaps a happier note, even though your brain is the center of processing your sense of taste, it cannot taste itself, either.

Now, there may be a very, very small number of people who've actually physically touched their own brain with their own hands. Perhaps some people who'd just lost a piece in some tragic event had a fraction of a moment to hold that and marvel at the feel of the very thing they did their marveling with. Even more rarely, since it is possible to do brain surgery on a conscious person (and sometimes necessary, so the surgical subject can explain the effects the procedure is having on him as it goes), a very few may have been allowed, with immaculately sanitized fingers, to gingerly touch the squiggly surface of the system containing both their volition and sensation. With a well-placed mirror, one might even have, in that position, the equally rare experience of seeing one's own brain, and living to tell of it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.