Linear A is a language that was spoken on the island of Crete from about 2000BC to 1200BC. It uses an alphabet that is very similar to Linear B. Most of the sounds of the symbols in the Linear A alphabet have been figured out by studying the Linear B alphabet. The symbols in the alphabet are often comprised of a consonant and a vovel. Despite the similarities between the two alphabets the languages of Linear A and B are very different. Linear B is an early version of the the Greek language. Linear A is not thought to be related to any known languages and is currently undecipherable.

As The Goose says, Linear A has not yet been deciphered. But, curiously enough, several sites can be found around the Web with people claiming that they have unraveled the mystery. I think you won't be surprised if I add that they have reached lots of different conclusions.

For example, GJK Campbell-Dunn, from New Zealand, is convinced that Minoan Linear A is related to the Niger-Congo and Bantu languages of Africa; while Sergei Sergei V. Rjabchikov has read the text in the Phaistos disk relating it to Russian pronounciation.

These two are only two examples. Search, compare, and you can have a good laugh.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.