Lifeblood is the seventh album released by the Manic Street Preachers, following a greatest hits record, Forever Delayed, and a b-sides album, Lipstick Traces. The conclusive nature of the previous two releases caused rumors to fly about the future of the band, and according to interviews, they themselves were wondering what they could do next.

In contrast to the anger and edginess of Know Your Enemy, Lifeblood is a rubber-band snap back, both musically and lyrically. The entire record has a retro feel and is reminiscent of 80s pop, while lyrically, almost every song has a reference to former guitarist Richey Edwards. According to the band, their goal was to make an 'elegaic pop record' and go in directions people wouldn't normally associate with them.

Although each song is quite simple, as well as short (nothing runs over four minutes), every melody is strong - there are virtually no 'lulls' in the album. The tone is sweet and sad, but in a different way than This is My Truth Tell Me Yours, which sprawls like a Shakespearean tragedy. Lifeblood seems to create more of an acceptance. A comfort. Pleasant stillness.

1. 1985
2. The Love of Richard Nixon
3. Empty Souls
4. A Song for Departure
5. I Live to Fall Asleep
6. To Repel Ghosts
7. Emily
8. Glasnost
9. Always/Never
10. Solitude Sometimes Is
11. Fragments
12. Cardiff Afterlife

Life"blood` (?), n.

1.

The blood necessary to life; vital blood.

Dryden.

2.

Fig.: That which gives strength and energy.

Money [is] the lifeblood of the nation. Swift.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.