A scenic area in Northwestern lower Michigan (U.S.) bordered on the west by Lake Michigan, and to the east by the Grand Traverse Bay. At its northernmost tip is an historic lighthouse, just steps away from the 45th parallel.

The area is famous for its beaches, delicious cherries, and whitefish. Opportunities for excellent skiing, golf, and watersports abound. It is also the home of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, a fun place to visit in the summer. Hang gliding is popular off of Pyramid Point.

The Leelenau County seat is Leland, home to a very busy marina. From the historic "fish town" you can charter a boat to the uninhabited Manitou Islands for some exploring, or just go fishing.

Other Leelenau communities include:

  • Sutton's Bay, which has a wonderful arts and crafts fair in the Summer
  • Omena, home of an excellent winery and a very interesting art gallery
  • Lake Leelenau, named after one of the area's bountiful inland lakes
  • Peshawbestown, home to a large Native American population
  • Glen Arbor, very close to the dunes and more lakes
  • Cedar, home to a vibrant Polish-American community, which hosts an annual "PolkaFest" and sells wonderful sausages
  • Maple City, where you can find excellent pizza
  • Northport, where the lighthouse is, along with lots of terrific waterfront, shopping, and food.

Its location between two large bodies of water makes Leelenau's scenery breathtakingly beautiful, but its weather very unpredictable. Take an umbrella and sunscreen.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.