National emblem of Wales, along with the daffodil.

Leek - Allium porrum

Leek is an annual or sometimes perennial plant which is most commonly eaten as a boiled vegetable. Its leaves are linear and dilate at the bottom of the leaf sheaths which surround the stem. The round stem grows from a slightly bulging bulb. This is topped by a globular cluster of flowers which are white to light red in colour, and some small bulbs grow among the blossoms. The flowers bloom during June and July.

Leek has much the same properties as garlic, but to a lesser degree. It may also stimulate the appetite and help to relieve congestion in the respiratory passages. Leek is a useful non-irritating diuretic. The crushed leaves of this plant are used externally to ease the sting of insect bites.

Leek (?), n. [AS.le�xa0;c; akin to D. look, G. lauch, OHG. louh, Icel. laukr, Sw. lok, Dan log. Cf. Garlic.] Bot.

A plant of the genus Allium (A. Porrum), having broadly linear succulent leaves rising from a loose oblong cylindrical bulb. The flavor is stronger than that of the common onion.

Wild leek , in America, a plant (Allium tricoccum) with a cluster of ovoid bulbs and large oblong elliptical leaves.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.