A popular and traditional dessert of the Philippines.
2 1/4 cups sugar
6 whole eggs
2 cans (14 oz. ea.) of evaporated milk
1/4 tsp finely grated lime or lemon rind
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Melt 1/2 cup sugar in an 8" round baking pan over low heat. Tip pan back & forth to distribute caramelized sugar evenly.
- Beat egg.
- Add remaining sugar gradually.
- Pour milk slowly into egg mixture stirring constantly.
- Add lime or lemon rind & vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into caramel-lined pan. Place it in a larger, shallow baking pan and set in the middle shelf of the oven.
- Pour enough hot water into the the bigger pan to come half-way up to sides of the custard pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool at room temperature.
- Chill for several hours before serving.