A band known for their energized performances and distinctive brand of dance party funk and R&B. They enjoyed a string of 16 singles from 1978 to 1987 on Solar Records.

They were formed in 1969 as "Young Underground" in Dayton, Ohio by vocalists Tiemeyer McCain, Thomas Oliver Shelby, Otis Stokes and Mark Woods. They were augmented by instrumentalists Steve Shockley (Guitar), Norman Beavers (keyboards), Mark Craig (bass) and Fred Lewis (percussion). They played in and around Ohio, Oklahoma, Indiana, and Kentucky. After winning a talent contest in Chicago, the group named itself "Lakeside Express," the same name as a Chicago newspaper. In 1974 the group relocated to Los Angeles and frequently performed with the band Liquid Funk. The drummer from Liquid Funk, Fred Alexander, Jr., joined Lakeside (which had dropped the "Express" from its name) while his band moved back to Dallas.

They signed a deal with Motown but found no success. Subsequently, they released a ballad on ABC Records but the label folded soon after. They scored their first hit on Solar Records in 1978 with It's All the Way Live, which reached #4 on the R&B chart. It was followed up by the biggest hit, 1980's Fantastic Voyage, which reached #1 on the R&B chart. Other singles followed, including I Want to Hold Your Hand (1982) and Outrageous (1984). All four singles made the Top 10 on the U.S. R&B charts. Their last chart entry was Bullseye, in 1987.

Discography:
1977 Lakeside Express
1978 Shot of Love
1979 Rough Riders
1980 Fantastic Voyage
1981 Keep on Moving Straight Ahead
1982 Your Wish is My Command
1983 Untouchables
1984 Outrageous
1986 Party Patrol
1987 Power

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.