Actor Kyle MacLachlan is a Washington-state native, born Feb. 22, 1959 in Yakima and still residing there AFAIK. He graduated from the University of Washington in 1982 with a bachelor's degree in fine arts. His hair, now graying, is dyed black.

Kyle's a talented and funny guy, best know for his roles in David Lynch projects. His non-Lynch work has included some questionable (okay, BAD) movies: Flintstones movie, Showgirls, and Dune (which I realize is a David Lynch film, but ... ewww!). On the plus side, Kyle played Ray Manzarek in The Doors landed a recurring role as Trey MacDougal -- Charlotte's husband -- on HBO's "Sex in the City."

With Lynch, he's had success in films such as Blue Velvet, but many remember him most fondly as Special Agent Dale Cooper in Twin Peaks. He played Cooper as a keenly intelligent, if quirky, man speaking in confident, clipped tones. The performance was drawn from Kyle's role as a cop in The Hidden a few years earlier.

He's got comic talent that's wasted on the likes of The Flintstones. Kyle's 1990 appearance as host of Saturday Night Live was hilarious, including an opening monologue where he gave away the Twin Peaks ending (only to be chewed out by "David Lynch" over the phone) ... an appearance as an "angular and beautiful" film director on the "Sprockets," judging Germany's Most Disturbing Home Videos ... and a role as Mike Myers' son in the "All Things Scottish" shop, where he convinces his dad to start selling pizza. I was a borderline MacLachlan fan until seeing that SNL episode -- he's a very funny and versatile guy, and movie directors need to start taking advantage of that.

Trashy gossip: He was engaged to Linda Evangelista but apparently didn't tie the knot. He's also dated Twin Peaks co-star Lara Flynn Boyle and Blue Velvet co-star Laura Dern.

E1 node rewritten September 3, 2001.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.