An element from the planet Krypton that only exists in small chunks. It currently is one of the few elements that can pose as a harmful substance to Superman. If he comes into contact with him, his steroid - based powers weaken.

Today, there is kryptonite, which can kill Superman in minutes and anyone else with prolonged exposure.

Yesterday, there was Green Kryptonite (kills any Kryptonian in minutes) ; Red Kryptonite (temporarily alters any Kryptonian, e.g. renders ant-headed, giant-sized, or evil) ; Blue Kryptonite (only affects Bizarros) ; White Kryptonite (kills all plantlife) ; Jewel Kryptonite (gives mind control to Phantom Zone residents) ; X-Kryptonite (gives Streaky the Supercat his superpowers).

The authors of the comic book Superman portrayed Kryptonite as a metallic chemical element from the planet Krypton. However, the suffix -ite generally denotes a compound. Look on your periodic table - there are no elements ending in -ite.

To make matters worse, the element Krypton, presumably a component of Kryptonite if it were a compound, is an inert gas that does not form compounds under ordinary conditions. Superman's anathema is an imaginary compound masquerading as an element.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.