Krupnik is a traditional Polish honey vodka. It is very sweet and has a herbish flavor. It goes back to the 18th century. If you don't want to make it yourself, you can buy "Polmos Old Krupnik Honey Vodka" at your local alcohol selling stores.
This is how you make it:
1-1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
8 sticks cinnamon
2 whole cloves
3 strips lemon peel
1 bottle vodka
- Heat sugar in 2 Tbs of water until it dissolves, then stir in the boiling water.
- Add vanilla bean, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and allspice berries.
- Let it boil, cover and simmer it for 5 minutes.
- Strain the caramel mixture and return to the pan.
- Stir in honey and orange rind and heat, stirring, until the honey has completely dissolved.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir vodka.
You can serve it hot or cold.
I made this drink at various house parties and friends, family, and guests always enjoyed it. The vodka is put into the hot syrup and everything smooths out evenly. It's a great treat for the holidays.