The Roll of Honor Clasp for the Kriegsmarine
was modeled after the Heer
(Army) version. On May 5, 1944 Großadmiral Dönitz
instituted the naval version of the Honor Clasp to recognize those members of the Wehrmacht
's Kriegsmarine who had been entered on 'The Honor Roll
of the German Navy', which had been opened February 1943. Like it's Army counterpart, the clasp was the only outward sign that a sailor
had been inducted onto the honor roll. There are no exact estimations on how many of these were awarded, but it is the most difficult of the three clasps to find today.
In the Kriegsmarine's case, the badge was produced from a single stamping, but the gilt wreath
is slightly larger measuring 26mm
across. The oak leaves
that make up the wreath are continuous and are made up of 15, irregular bunches, measuring 3.5mm across. The center design is an anchor
surmounted by a swastika
. In this case the swastica is mobile (tilted at an angle) and also has the fine, recessed line running around the inner edge, as did the Army Roll of Honor Clasp
. The reverse side has four prongs to allow it to be attached to a strip of Iron Cross
Second Class ribbon
It was worn just as the Army counterpart, for wear and qualifications
. It's award was at the discretion of the OKM, or Oberkommando der Marine
, and it was quite rare. If an awardee already had the 1939 Clasp
on their Iron Cross Second Class ribbon, it would be removed and only the Honor Roll clasp would then be worn.
It was awarded in a black oblong box. In the case of this badge, the box's base was blue flocked and the lining was white silk. It was accompanied by a document, and of course the recipient's name was recorded in the official
honor roll book.
See also Army Roll of Honor Clasp
; Luftwaffe Roll of Honor Clasp