A language spoken by a few thousand people (I have seen both 4000 and 6000 quoted) in Russia, in the far east of Siberia. There is a Koryak National Okrug occupying the northern half of the Kamchatka Peninsula and adjacent mainland, with capital at Palana.

Koryak has a number of dialects, and the Alyutor and Kerek varieties may be regarded as distinct languages. Chavchuven is the dialect of the reindeer-herders, and Nymylan refers to the various dialects of the town-dwellers. There is uncertainty over whether all the dialects are mutually intelligible. Kerek is about to become extinct; the remaining few speakers are elderly. Alyutor has a few hundred older speakers.

It is a part of a small family called Chukotko-Kamchatkan, which also contains Chukchi (or Chukot), the language of the furthermost peninsula abutting Alaska. I've got a detailed grammar of Chukchi, which once I can study it enough to boil it down, I will node, and that will serve as a guide to Chukotko-Kamchadal. The language family has usually been thought to include the endangered Itelmen (or Kamchadal), but this may in fact been an isolate with strong Koryak influence.

A meaningless term still encountered is Palaeo-Siberian, grouping together a number of small languages including the Chukotko-Kamchadal, but there is no genetic unity to them. Some linguists have tried to find wider affinities in the Siberian isolates: Joseph Greenberg includes some of them in his Eurasiatic hypthesis.

Koryak was studied by Vladimir Bogoraz-Tan in the 1920s, who published under the auspices of Franz Boas's ethnographic studies for the American Museum of Natural History.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.