Kiyoshi Kurosawa is a Japanese filmwriter and director brought to the attention of the world by his chilling psychological thriller Cure which distanced himself from his better-known namesake (no relation) in style but brought him one step closer in reputation.

Hailed by critics as the most significant talent to emerge from Japan in the last ten years he has been compared to Takeshi Kitano for his mix of sentimentalism, sense for the absurd and gift for the unsettling and uncomprimising portrayal of violence on screen. His integration of metaphysical and sociological speculation into his films has made him a most noteworthy talent.

Born in 1955 he started film making in college and won a prize at the Pia Film Festival in 1980. He graduated from the Sociology department of Rikkyo University and made his commercial debut with Kandagawa Warriors in 1983. In 1999 3 of his films premiered at Cannes, Berlin and Venice film festivals, a feat acheived only by the great Krzysztof Kieslowski previously. In the same year he was honored with a retrospective at Toronto International Film Festival.


Kiyoshi Kurosawa filmography (writer and director):

Kaïro (2001)
... aka Pulse (2001) (International: English title)

Korei (2000) (TV)
... aka Seance (2000) (TV) (International: English title)

Oinaru genei (1999)
... aka Barren Illusions (1999) (Europe: English title) Karisuma (1999)
... aka Charisma (1999) (International: English title)

Kumo no hitomi (1998)
... aka Eyes of the Spider (1998) (International: English title)

Ningen gokaku (1998)
... aka License to Live (1999) (International: English title)

Hebi no michi (1997)
... aka Serpent's Path (1997) (International: English title)

Kyua (1997)
... aka Cure (1997) (Japan: English title) (USA)

Doa 3 (1996)
... aka Door 3 (1996) (International: English title)

Jigoku no keibiin (1992)
... aka Guard from the Underground, The (1992) (International: English title)

Suito Homu (1989)
... aka Sweet Home (1989) (International: English title)

Do-re-mi-fa-musume no chi wa sawagu (1985)
... aka Excitement of the Do-Re-Mi-Fa Girl, The (1985) (International: English title)

Kanda-gawa inran senso (1983)
... aka Kandagawa Wars (1983)


Source for filmography www.imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.