Kilkee - an introduction

Kilkee is a small seaside town situated in County Clare on the west coast of Ireland. Originally a tiny fishing village, it prospered as a resort for wealthy Britons during the Victorian era.

During the Winter Kilkee's population is somewhere around 2,000 but on a busy Summer day it may swell to ten times that.

So what is there to do in Kilkee one might ask? Well the facilities in this sleepy town are as follows: a 3-screen cinema, a swimming pool, 3 hotels, 2 nightclubs and a somewhat irish number of bars - 29 at the last count.

For the nature lover there is of course a safe crescent shaped beach, stunning cliff walks and a plethora of picturesque locations.

But why the hell would anyone want to go to Kilkee? Well, according to Jacques Cousteau, its bay is one of the best diving locations in the world. As a result, there is a PADI5 star resort in the town. Also and perhaps more interestingly, it was in Kilkee during the sixties that Ché Guevara bumped into the man that went on to market his iconic posters and t-shirts. I shit you not.

Well that's it for me - I wrote this as I live in the aforementioned back arse of nowhere.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.