a diminutive of Katherine
also the name of the title character in Kiss Me, Kate, and (correspondingly) Taming of the Shrew.
In both these works, Kate is militantly feminist, outspoken to the point of being rude, and being chased by an unwanted suitor

A text editor for the KDE desktop environment. In this context, KATE is an acronym, standing for "KDE Advanced Text Editor".

Kate was written by the following cast of characters:

It has its very own home at http://kate.kde.org/.

Kate is primarily intended for use as a development environment, with several features that directly support this. In particular, a two-tabbed pane is available that shows all open files in one tab, and the current directory in the other (along with navigation tools to get around and open additional files). In addition, the application supports fairly advanced syntax highlighting via an XML-based syntax definition file. Kate comes with many languages pre-defined (the usual suspects like C/C++, Perl, Python, etc.).

Some additional nice features include: XML and HTML tools (for inserting tags into your text); scripts to run on your text for manipulation (e.g. to run your file through sed(1) or awk(1)); bookmarks to quickly open frequently-used files; spell check and word-wrap; and block commenting/uncommenting of code.

Kate (?), n. Zool.

The brambling finch.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.