The true justification of male infidelity is also the justification of infidelity for women. Neither is genetically predisposed to latching onto the other for eternity. This is a social construct that has been ingrained into the human consciousness for thousands of years -- and far too long. Marriage is obsolete. Notice that in many of the societies still existing near the fertile crescent men still believe it's perfectly acceptable for men to have many wives but women are not allowed to do the same? This is blatant patriarchal garbage and any woman who perpetuates these lies by giving into the conditioning and feeling jealous when what she should be doing is going after anything with three legs is jeopardizing her own gender's right to equality which others have fought for in generations past.

It's not genetics. That's a red herring. It's got to do with upbringing. Men are roosters. Women are hens They're all chicken. Ever see them get hitched? No. They each have their fun in their own way and then *plop* out comes a fertilized egg now and then. We humans act as if procreation is a goal. IT IS A BYPRODUCT! The goal is sex, and the sooner you more conservative-minded boneheads get that through your thick skulls the sooner we can get back to the days of the Roman Empire when undergarments were free and all was permitted!

Viva la difference! AHORA NEOISMUS!!!

Like Zach, I agree that both sexes are disposed to have multiple partners, however, I have a few points to bring up in response.

Men are roosters. Women are hens They're all chicken. Ever see them get hitched? No. They each have their fun in their own way and then *plop* out comes a fertilized egg now and then. We humans act as if procreation is a goal. IT IS A BYPRODUCT!
An "interesting" argument here. (i.e. I disagree with this) If human children were raised by farmers or cooked for breakfast, surely we would follow this example as well--we would have no further responsibility, after all. However, we do have a responsibility to take care of these "eggs" that *plop* into our laps, and although marriage isn't purely for taking care of the progeny, neither is sex purely for pleasure--each has both pleasure and responsibility. Some would have it all pleasure, some would have it all responsibility, but the fact of the matter is, whether it is fear of children or fear of STDs, you have to be responsible about sex; likewise, even though marriage is a huge commitment, it can also bring great pleasure and happiness. The reason there is so much discord over this subject is easily explained: neither is purely founded on pleasure or responsibility--why else would some choose abstinence and others infidelity?--the hardest part is finding the balance that makes you happy.

There are two types of monogamy: social and genetic. In the first case, partners work together to raise their offspring. With genetic monogamy, parents are faithful sex partners.

While social monogamy is relatively common, the genetic issue is the exception rather than the rule. In fact, there are only two species of monkeys, the marmoset and the tamarin, that are truly monogamous. All other primates, humans included, often mate outside their partnerships.

Among birds, it has been thought for years that faithful sex partnership is widespread. In such a concern, the eastern bluebird was considered a prime example, with male and female partners working together to build nests, incubate eggs, then feed and raise their young. However, studies using genetic testing techniques showed that 15% to 20% of chicks cared for by a pair of bluebirds were not fathered by the male (*).

Among several hypotheses to explain the above facts, what follows stands up:

1. Genetic male infidelity

Females stray to gather the best possible genes for their offspring, while males are driven to father as many and as often as possible. The first pattern would support the fact that females seek males of high status, to produce offspring of higher quality that will be able to survive better. The second pattern is in accordance with the biological role of males, in order to scatter their genes into as many members of the next generation as possible (**).

2. Social monogamy

Monogamy could have been originated among species whose young survived best when raised by a bonded pair. This may have led to the rise of monogamy among people, since human children take so long to mature.

References

(*) P. A. Gowarty. Behavioural ecology. University of Georgia.

(**) T. Emlen. Evolutionary behaviour. Cornell University.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.