Everything Day Logs
Yesterday | Tomorrow

Everything Snapshot

Time: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 01:04:46 GMT
Everything server: Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21
Number of nodes: 548780 (1905 new since June 2, 2000)
Number of users: 15273 (38 new since June 2, 2000)
Number of links: 1788597 (20123 new since June 2, 2000)

Node to user ratio: 35.931 nodes per user
Link to node ratio: 3.259 links per node
Link to user ratio: 117.108 links per user

New Nodes: Users Online (26): [ideath] [Uberfetus] [hatless] [Orange Julius] [icicle] [davidgentle] [Hai-Etlik] [li] [Ground Control] [heropsychodreamer] [bonnet] [binarydreams] [Ninja-Lad] [gnarl] [heyoka] [urbanmisfit] [jakohn] [Eos] [Enzondio] [ChaosMonkey] [The Alchemist] [sunhill] [eliane] [Dave!] [Mindful Box] [everyone]

JeffMagnus node count: 3686 (6 new since June 2, 2000)
JeffMagnus experience: 6193 (16 more since June 2, 2000)
JeffMagnus experience to node ratio: 1.680 XP per node
JeffMagnus nodeshare: 0.672%
JeffMagnus node of the day: Everything 2 Civil War

Oh Lord, I feel funny. No, but, like, really funny. Surreal funny, in a pink elephant kind of way. Wow.

I gave blood today. I think maybe they took too much, or I'm too little, or they told me not to lift heavy objects or drink caffeine and I proceeded to help a friend move large boxes up lots of stairs while drinking numerous cups of coffee. I don't know. Funny...hee hee! Oh, Lordie. I don't think I like this. I've never felt this odd, even while on things that are supposed to make you feel odd. I'm actually afraid to go to sleep. What if I don't wake up?

It's like time isn't passing at all. Somehow, my eyes are open, but I'm not really aware of what the hell is going on around me. Pretty scary for a control freak like me. I want my blood back. Please? Maybe just a little bit? I won't tell! Holy crap! It took me half an hour to write this. Oh...I'm going to go stare at a wall.

I think I'm entering a stage of depression. All I want to do is sleep and am very apathetic. Erin has noticed my uncharacteristic behavior and keeps asking me questions. "What's the matter?", "What's your problem?", and "I know something is up... why won't you tell me?" are questions she frequents. I'm not sure how she'll react if I tell her what is going on in my head. Hell, I'm not even sure what's going on.

Strangely for a Saturday I actually managed to achieve quite a lot, but more on that later. Lets start with last night shall we?

As usually for a Friday night I stayed up late to watch the uncut version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, it was one of the best episodes I've seen for a while (the Spike Returns episode). That was followed by another pretty good program and then a great science fiction film called Harrison Bergeron. As a result I finally got to sleep at about three am, which is late even for me. Three hours later my alarm went off and 45 minutes after that I actually woke up.

Crawling out of bed, I wandered around for a while groaning, before managing to get dressed and find my way to the computer. I rapidly copied the latest Geeks in Space (which I had yet to hear) to my Rio and hurried out of the door in the direction of the bus stop.

When I finally made it in to town Geeks was still playing, so I did some more wandering while the track ran out before going into Tesco to get my breakfast.

Munching it on my way to the office I enjoyed Hooked on a Feeling which I'd dug of Napster last night while looking for Little Green Bag. The problem I had at the time was that I didn't actually know the title of the song I was looking for.

Finally reaching the office I wandered around every single floor making sure that all the NT Workstations were switched on as Friday's email and the message that had been on the Digital Dashboard since last week had requested. Technically they were all switched on, at least the graphics card was giving out a signal. The problem was that 20% of them were telling me that I could turn the computer off or click restart. Not much use for transferring files to them over the network. Luckily I checked the picture and didn't just fiddle the keyboard LEDs on and off.

With that finally sorted I went back to the server room and zapped the Anti-virus Management clean of all the computers in the building. Then I went through and put them all back in, if anybody renames a computer on the network without sorting it in McAfee I will rip their head off and use it as a centre piece for a dinner party.

The update went well, it had only one failure. For some reason I had installed the wrong anti-virus software on one of the workstations about six months ago. I fixed that - three reboots, I hate Windows - and re-did the update for that machine. With everything up to date I kicked off a scan of every computer. They all reported back with no problems, except a few warnings about encrypted files which I knew were safe.

While the scans were running, I turned my attention to my Linux workstation. Having bought the newest issue of Linux Format the previous morning and found that I couldn't find any sign of network support in Storm, I changed distro again. At the last count it still wasn't working. I should be able to fix it tomorrow though.

I then popped out for a little while to see if the Reservoir Dogs CD was in HMV, I managed to get hold of the very last copy. Bringing it back I finally had a copy of Little Green Bag, as I mentioned earlier I didn't know the name of the song, only the film. It also made my copy of hooked on a feeling legal (pay attention music industry - legal copy now).

M wasn't impressed though, which surprised me, the film is set during Super Seventies Weekend on the local radio station, and he is considerably older then me (I know that most 18 year olds are not huge fans of 70s music, don't make an issue of it).

Did some more pottering around, attacking the rebuild of my workstation. I also finally gave up on my NT machine, its lost all sign of magic cookies as well as taking an age to load anything. So I started rebuilding that as well, to be finished on Monday.

A's laptop is still having problems. The CD-ROM drive finally came back, it took four phone calls and two weeks for Action.com to collect it in the first place. However, it still does not work and it will have to go back again. I am dreading tell A.

Before leaving I made lots of threats as to what would happen if R didn't fix my Linux server by the next time I saw him. On Wednesday he needed to borrow a CPU to test another machine. It proved the problem was with the motherboard but when replaced in the Linux box, it literally blew up. This of course was after I promised some GBH if he damaged the machine again. Last time he touched it (to fix the graphics card) the system was out of commission for two months.

What I got home I watched Days of Our Lives, it is so bad I find it very funny, and had lunch. Then I got to work. I actually had time on my hands so I revamped my website - http://www.dorward.co.uk - comments and suggestions to the email address on the page. I don't care about spam, its my hotmail account. That reminds me, I found a nice resource on dealing with SPAM. http://kryten.eng.monash.edu.au/gspam.html

The rest of the day was spent tidying before I made myself a nice steak and had dinner. I then finished watching Joe Black (the film starts of very slowly but has a good ending) and now, now I'm writing up my day for e2.

Rise at ~11:00am, shower and shave and trim nails. Almost out of soap, I will have to visit the health-food store for a refill of Doc Bronner's peppermint liquid soap. I plan to do this today, but it cascades to tomorrow by nightfall.
Grocery shopping. I have needed fresh smilk for weeks, and I actually feel like shopping today! Bread, Sunday breakfast bagels and cinnamon buns, 2 glasses to replace the one (my only) that my flatmate broke, coffee ("french roast", my consistent favorite), cereal, a stir-fry pan and some tofu and veggies. You'd think I was vegetarian or something, until we reach the cold cuts. A pound of cajun roast beef should dispel that notion. I'm not vegetarian, I just hate cooking meat.
Around the house: I truly intend to paint the small bedroom, which I use for a big junk closet but which would make a fine guest room. In preparation, I completely empty it. Flatmate is trying to sleep off a sick headache, so I refrain from vacuuming; instead I wash dishes, clean the stove, prepare the new non-stick stir-fry pan by heating some olive oil in it, and rearrange my pantry cabinets. Then flatmate's sister arrives, we smoke a little and chat. I start getting antsy for my friends Adam & Cris to call by about 5:00.
Night Out. I had proposed a movie, but we end up at the Montclair Book Center. Adam browses for-freaking-ever. I used to love book shopping; since the most recent move, every book and CD is a reminder that I have a problem with accumulating Stuff that I definitely don't need and often don't even use. I almost buy a CD, I almost buy a book (twice), and I almost buy a magazine.
From the bookstore, we walk to a Mexican restaurant (Mexicali Rose), with a 20-minute wait; while we wait, we check out a Thai restaurant (Tup Tim), and stay there instead. I have iced chi and shrimp scampi (it was in Thai on the menu, I swear), Adam has duck with curry and pineapple, Cris has broccoli & tofu in curry. I have been asking them out for dinner for their April birthdays since April, now I can finally buy them dinner. They are going to Milan for their wedding (neither of them is remotely Italian) in two weeks; Adam has at least 5 plans for "when we get back, we'll have to..." try the Mexican restaurant, go to the Cloisters museum in Manhattan, visit our favorite Mongolian restaurant (The Magic Pan in Garwood), go clubbing, etc.
Thoughts on my domestic burst of energy. I did something nice for me yesterday (visited the library), so today I'm returning the favor. Rewards are important in self-motivation, how does it work when the reward precedes the desired behavior?

<< week | June 2, 2000 | June 3, 2000 | June 4, 2000 | week >>

Everything's Best Users Snapshot

Users                  XP wa7 inc   l_XP l_wa7
... Sorry, no EBU Snapshot today
... Please see June 4, 2000

l_ = last (previous) value; inc = increase in stats value
wa7 = ((stats + (6 * l_wa7))/7) = weighted average with denominator 7

Random Nodes

Unfortunately, I couldn't manage to get an Internet connection to get an EBU Snapshot today. The Awana Genting Hotel's Business Centre and its internet service was only open during office hours 9-5pm. I am having a course up here in Genting Highlands on 3 and 4 June 2000. So, I'll have to think of somehow taking into account of the missings stats for today ...

Nodes to node

I woke up in 4:00 AM to get myself ready for the Amtrak to North Carolina. So far, I packed a lot of my slacks and t-shirts for the vacation but nothing for the trip to Florida. I packed my computer along, being the custom-built behemoth bigger than the suitcase and the tote bag I carried with it.

My sister and her boyfriend drove me off to Penn Station (right behind Madison Square Garden). It's a quick trip to the station, giving us enough time to get lost in the station before it's ready for boardin.

The train was ready for passengers a few minutes before 6:00 AM. As I dragged my computer to the back of the business class car, my sister waved good-bye to me. I nodded, and that made up my day in New York City.

The train ride took a lot out of me not because it was physically exerting. I didn't have any formal kind of breakfast except one hot dog, so I'm tired for the day. I have to sleep...

Around 9:00 AM or 10, I was listening to my CDs. I brought over my CD player with my Ute Lemper and Eminem CDs, but I have a heck of a lot more in my tote bag.

I listened only to the CD player and the music from the train's own sound system. The only saving graces are a few oldies and the love theme to Blade Runner.

I had a sandwich for lunch from the train's café car, but it's just as uneventful as breakfast. I'm too used to mess hall food, so I'm not food critic.

I liked taking the train for the view. The beginning was like in Half-Life, with the rolling from the tunnels to the outside world and back... One of my favorite places I have passed by is in Quantico, Virginia. I saw a school of sorts for the United States Marine Corps, and I said to myself this: "I am here (in the train). I should be there (the school buildings and the airbase).

In the train's way through North Carolina, the train ran faster to the stops but the traffic problems and the storm came in more often. It was raining in Cary, where my brother and his family was waiting...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.