I've taken up running. I actually did so earlier this year, thanks to a friend of mine getting into C25k, but had stopped during my move. For the past three weeks, though, thanks in no small part to some very motivated friends and roommates, I've been catching up and doing even better than I did the first time around.

Some people get runner's high of the brain dumping all kinds of chemicals in that make you feel REALLY damn good during and after a run. I'm lucky enough to be one of those folks, and have been merrily chugging along like a rat on the treadmill, ignoring potential damage to knees and ankles alike in favor of greater health and a pervasive sense of accomplishment and well-being that is helping me deal with the stress of... having roommates, sadly.

Either I'm just not wired to live in a group setting (very possible), or this group of close friends may not be the right folks for me to be living with. My aggravation levels have been climbing pretty steadily for these past couple of months, and it's to the point where it's become clear that I have to shit or get off the pot. Gentle encouragement and outright lectures from friends and family have got me pursuing my own living quarters solo. This experiment in group living seems to be a failure.

The bright side is, I get to go shopping for a sweet living space, and Portland is certainly not empty of those. The downside is, these same irreconcilable lifestyle differences between me and my roommates may eat friendships. So it goes.

It's a decent test of how well some very patient folks have managed to teach me some modicum of diplomacy, though. I am hoping, despite everything, that friendship prevails.

And, if it doesn't, maybe it wasn't meant to.

On another bright side, the garden is flourishing. Giving up on this living situation certainly hasn't affected my tomatoes or peppers. The community garden experience has been pretty good in this regard.

Life continues to be rewarding, as does weed-pulling. Onwards.

On meatworld obligations

So things are happening real fast.

Let's review the points discussed last time:

  • Yes, I'm going to London for Wikimania 2014
  • I have my passport and the process was incredibly faster than the last time around. I walked out of that building with my new passport in hand in less than 90 minutes.
  • I talked with the Big Cheese about it. He gave mi his approval as soon as I mentioned "...volunteering for Wikipedia"
  • Pandemonium will happen.
  • My mom has offered me some money for the trip. I can only describe my reaction as :3

Last week we had some visitors from the Wikimedia Foundation. They wanted to inspect the venue and prospective hotels for next year's event. We scouted for safe hotels that were relatively near the venue and fit in our budget. The WMF people selected 3 out of the 20 we listed. They loved the venue. They saw how Mexico City is not a place where you get mugged every few steps, but a City fit for visitors from all around the world.

It wasn't until these people left that I actually realized that I'm doing this trip. I freaked out for a bit, in a good way.

On London sightseeing

A few weeks ago I asked the good people of the catbox for interesting things to see while in London. The list sez:

If you have more suggestions, please /msg me! Of course, I won't be able to see everything London has to offer in one week, so I want to know what the locals regard as the best of the best. Beer suggestions are welcome, too.

Addendum:

The Custodian recommends the Imperial War Museum in Duxford.

RedOmega, moeyz, etoufee: thanks for your good wishes :')

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.