The last time I was at the library, I picked up a book on raw foods, and even though it was somewhat of a disappointment, there was still a lot of value in it for me, and I'm really glad I went ahead with that decision. This book is slightly different than ones I have read in the past, the raw food book I own has much better photos, but this woman's book has better content, and one of my favorite things is that she designed her recipes to serve a single person with the option of doubling them for two. Most of what it said was not really new to me, but I needed an incentive to get back into it, and it did achieve that. For anyone who wishes to check it out for themselves, the book is: raw food Made Easy for 1 or two people (capitalization as it appears on the cover, and spine) by jennifer cornbleet. One thing that really bothered me is her tendency to put photos in seemingly random spots, I did not enjoy seeing a photo, and then having to hunt for the accompanying recipe, however I did appreciate her shopping list, detailed food prep information, and easy to follow instructions. She also has a list of kitchen gadgets that others may find useful and helpful. It isn't anything I would pay to put on a shelf in my home, but I'm perfectly willing to have it here until the due date.

One book that I will almost certainly purchase is; weight loss for people who feel too much by colette baron-reid. While I have just begun reading, it's clear to me that she gets at the real reason many struggle with weight loss, they do not understand how to identify, and manage their emotions. Her discussion on porous boundaries is exceptional, as is her primer on how to eat. She promises simplicity, and I have yet to see evidence of that, but as I mentioned, I'm not far into it, and even if it is more complex than I was initially led to believe, this material, and her promises seem worth the investment. This is actually a workbook disguised as a hardcover edition, she would like students (using that word since it seems appropriate here), to keep two separate notebooks, and I see value in this system as well. I'm reminded slightly of; The Creativity Cure which I probably wouldn't buy again given the option, the foundation is strong, and I still subscribe to the efficacy of the protocol; for those who do not remember they recommend following five core activities daily: journaling whatever comes to mind, doing something with your hands, physical activity, doing absolutely nothing for awhile, returning to your initial journal entry, and rewriting it with yourself as the protagonist who conquers all. 

Years ago I loaned someone my copy of Practical Paleo by Diane SanFelippo, and I still regret this. When I was at Barnes and Noble with my oldest the other day I picked up a copy of: 'The Anti-Inflammatory Diet & Action Plans' by Dorothy Calimeris & Sondi Bruner. I paid $9.00 for it, and I'm still debating whether or not this was actually worth it, or not. What I like is that there are four plans to follow. Diane's book is far more comprehensive, and I would highly recommend it to anyone, however it's so thorough that it becomes intimidating, and overwhelming. This one is much simpler, a weakness, as well as its strength. Thankfully the photos are next to the recipes, for which I am exceedingly grateful. Going through all of these books has brought forth a lot of emotions surrounding books I have owned in the past. A part of me is grieving their loss, and I realize that for me, it's not usually the recipes, which I almost never follow. It's the pictures, and promises, the information, possibilities, hope, encouragement, and a way to escape into a world of beautifully plated foods, this appeals to my artistic side, and I find things like that nurturing. Many of my books were my friends through long stretches of time when life was not treating me very well, and I miss having that comfort around.

Keeping this short as I am meeting a friend, take care, and please, be well;

jessica

P.S. Today it was really hard to write about anything, and I'm still struggling to understand why. Thanks for reading.

j

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.