July 20th is the 201st day of the year (202nd in leap years) and falls under the Cancer sign of the Zodiac.

Important Things That Happened On July 20 According To The Internet

1304
The Italian poet Petrarch is born.
1402
Tamerlane and the Tartars defeats the Ottoman Empire, capturing the Sultan and conquering most of Turkey at the Battle of Angora.
1519
Pope Innocent IX is born.
1804
Sir Richard Owen, celebrated paleontologist and inventor of the word "dinosaur", is born.
1810
Colombia celebrates its Independence Day for the first time.
1811
Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, martyr for the independence of Mexico, is executed by firing squad.
1816
Sir William Bowman, who discovered the kidneys' functions (the Bowman's capsule is named for him), is born.
1847
Max Liebermann, German painter, is born.
1848
The 2nd day of the Seneca Convention leads to the resolution to fight for women's right to "elective franchise."
It will take 72 more years until women are allowed to vote in the United States.
1871
British Columbia joins the federation of Canada.
1872
Mahloon Loomis is awardeded the first patent for wireless telegraphy in the United States.
1881
Sitting Bull surrenders to federal authorities; he is sentenced to two years in prison for his role in the Battle of Little Big Horn.
1885
Theda Bara, famous vamp of the silver screen (A Fool There Was, The Love Goddessess), was born.
1894
Errett Lobban Cord, president of Auburn Automobile Company and inventor of the Cord and Duesenberg cars, is born.
1897
Tadeus Reichstein, Swiss chemist and winner of the 1950 Nobel Prize for Medicine for his discoveries on adrenaline, is born.
1901
Heinie Manush, Hall of Fame outfielder, is born.
1903
Pope Leo XIII passed away. He was 93.
1906
Malcolm Eason of the Brooklyn Superbas throws a no-hitter against St. Louis.
1913
Turkey captures Adrianople from Bulgaria, re-entering the Balkan conflict.
1917
Yugoslavia is formed with the signing of the Pact of Corfu.
1919
Sir Edmund Hilary, the first man to climb Mt. Everest, is born.
1920
Elliot Richardson, U.S. Secretary of Defense, Commerce, and Attorney General, is born.
1925
Jacques Delors, French statesman and European Commission president, is born.
1930
Sally Ann Howes, star of Broadway and Hollywood (My Fair Lady, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), is born.

Chuck Daly, NBA coach, including the 1989 and 1990 champion Detroit Pistons, is born.
1933
Cormac McCarthy, author (All The Pretty Horses), is born.
1936
Elizabeth Dole, North Carolina Senator and wife of Bob Dole, is born.
1938
Diana Rigg, television and movie star ("The Avengers", The Assassinations Bureau), is born.
Janet Reno, Attorney General and Florida Senator hopeful, is born.
Natalie Wood, Hollywood star (West Side Story, Rebel Without A Cause), is born.
1940
Billboard magazine published its first top of the charts list.
Tony Oliva, baseball star, is born.
1941
The first celebration of Japan's Marine Day is held. It will be made an official holiday in 1995.
1942
The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (later the Women's Army Corps) began training in Des Moines, Iowa.
1944
The plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler, carried out by Claus von Satuffenberg and Friedrich Olbricht, fails.
A bomb placed at a predetermined meeting detonates, but merely wounds Hitler, killing four others.
The conspirators were quickly rounded up and executed the following night.
1947
Guglielmo Marconi, inventor of wireless telegraphy, passed away. He was 63.
Gerg Binnig, winner of the 1986 Nobel Prize for Physics for designing the first electroni microsoper, is born.
Carlos Santana, Grammy-winning guitarist ("Oye Como Va", "Smooth"), is born.
1951
King Abdullah of Jordan is assassinated.
1958
Hall of Famer Jim Bunning throws his first major-league no-hitter.
1959
Harry Fox, inventor of the fox-trot, died. He was 77.
1964
Chris Cornell, lead singer for Soundgarden and Audioslave, is born.
1966
Stone Gossard, guitarist for Pearl Jam and Mad Season, is born.
1969
In perhaps the most famous televised event in world history, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin become the first men to walk on the moon.
1970
Bill Singer of the Los Angeles Dodgers throws a 5-0 no-hitter.
1973
Peter Forsberg, hockey star, is born.
Bruce Lee, martial arts expert and star of Enter The Dragon, dies suddenly at the age of 32.
The Japanese Red Army hijacks a flight headed from Amsterdam. The plane is later destroyed after the passengers are released.
1974
A right-wing coup in Cyprus occurs, with the intention of reuniting with Greece.
In turn, Turkey invades the island and demands autonomy for the Turkish minority.
1976
Ray Allen, star shooting guard for the Milwaukee Bucks, is born.
Viking 1 lands on Mars and begins sending pictures back to Earth, giving scientists a first glimpse at the surface of the Red Planet.
Hank Aaron blasts the final home run of his career, giving him a total of 755, tops in baseball.
The first incident of Legionnaires Disease is reported in Philadelphia.
1978
Charlie Korsmo, movie star (Hook, Dick Tracy, Can't Hardly Wait), is born.
1982
Eight soldiers (and seven horses) are killed in two separate bomb attacks by the IRA to protest the declaration of war on Argentina.
During a game between the Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago Cubs, a young woman leaps to hear death at Riverfront Stadium.
1983
Frank Reynolds, prickly ABC news anchor, passed away. He was 59.
1985
Treasure hunters begin unloading the approximately $400 million in gold and silver from the Nuestra Senora de Atocha.
The Spanish galleon had sunk off the coast of Key West in 1622.
1989
Aung San Suu Kyi is placed under house arrest for her opposition to the Burmese government.
She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in absentia in 1991. Finally released in 1995, her movements are still restricted.
1990
The Irish Republican Army sets off a bomb at the London Stock Exchange.
Though the bomb caused minimal damage, it caused alarm in London as it appeared the IRA had moved to civilian targets.
1996
The 1996 Summer Olympics open in Atlanta, Georgia. They are marred by a homicidal bombing that remains unsolved to this day.
?
birthday of (fled) e2 user holliman. He's been here since the Dark Ages!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.