"Dude, you were trashed last night," she says. I am sitting on an unfamiliar bed in an unfamiliar room, quite possibly in a hotel, that evokes memories of the huts from Gilligan's Island. There is another person in the room -- a man -- whom I don't really recognize but he treats me like a friend and I am not alarmed. He nods.

This is strange. I don't feel as though I'd been trashed the night before. No hangover. No headache. No unpleasantness whatsoever.

"Yeah," the guy pipes up. "I can't believe you got married."

I can't imagine what my face must have looked like at that moment. They sit down on the bed and start to weave a sordid tale: we are in Niagara Falls for some reason or another, and for some other reason Niagara Falls has slowly turned into Las Vegas. They explain that, after a night of partying, we met a small group of guys that included a sportscaster. And then he and I, drunk as hell, wound up in an all-night chapel and got married.

I freeze. I don't remember getting drunk and marrying a complete stranger. I don't even remember going to Niagara Falls. The memories only start in that hotel room.

Maybe I've been kidnapped.

But no. As they keep recounting the events of the previous evening, things start to make sense. Memories return in flashes, only allowing me to slowly piece them together like a very bizarre puzzle. I suddenly remember the people of whom they speak. Faces become unblurred, and I can place an image to the one guy they keep talking about but can't remember what happened.

"I can't remember what happened," I say.

"You got married," they both say at the same time.

It suddenly occurs to me that I have a boyfriend back home. Panic. I say nothing. What is there to say?

Someone else enters the room then, and the way the other two act towards him suggests he is one of the people we encountered last night. The fact that they immediately stop mentioning the topic they've been all too happy to talk about until his arrival suggests that he doesn't know.

"Where's Elliot?" the woman asks, glancing over at me with an expression that reeks of "That's your husband."

"He ran off and got married," the guy says. The two people in the room with me laugh nervously, then look to me to see how I'm going to react. They're trying to follow my lead.

"That's nice," I say. They laugh nervously again. I still don't believe I got drunk and married this man of whom they speak.

"Yeah," the guy continues. "He asked Brian to marry him last night and they decided to do it right away." He seems disinterested in telling the whole story and is looking for something in the hotel room.

My companions have gone from nervous to downright alarmed.

"He's marrying..." the guy starts and then trails off. The other guy glares at him with a look that says "What are you saying, you monster?" The first guy is not criticizing, mind you, just confused that the guy in question is marrying someone else so soon after apparently having married me (apparently), and without taking the generally common step of ending said marriage first.

He leaves the room not long after. I start to lose track of time.

The woman can see that I'm not convinced. She heads over to the bureau, returns with a piece of paper and hands it to me. Sure enough, it's a marriage certificate and, sure enough, there's my signature. Eep.

I most definitely didn't consummate any marriage, and up until that point I was more worried about living with the guilt and what everyone else would think when I got home than anything else. Besides, I could easily have it anulled, right? Right.

Except now this guy was running off to marry someone else, and I had no idea how to find him, and if I didn't find him and get this thing sorted out in time I'd find myself an accessory to bigamy!

Can you get charged for that? Is there even such a thing?

It didn't matter in the end, because that's when I woke up.


This dream came about as part of a three-hour nap I took yesterday after getting home from work. I have no idea what it means, so let's see what the experts have to say about it (all from www.dreammoods.com):

  • To dream that you are planning your own wedding to someone you never met is a metaphor symbolizing the union of your masculine and feminine side. It represents a transitional phase where you are seeking some sort of balance between your aggressive side and emotional side.
  • To see a hotel in your dream signifies a new state of mind or a shift in personal identity. You need to move away from your old habits and old way of thinking. Or you feel the need to temporarily escape from your daily life. 
  • To dream that you are on vacation indicates that you need a break to recharge your energies and revitalize yourself. You need to break out of your daily routine and do something different.  Alternatively, it represents your achievements. You are giving yourself a pat on the back and feel deserving of a reward for your hard work. 

There is, unfortunately, no entry in the dream dictionary for "doing unwise and foolish things in a drunken stupor and the remorse and panic that follows." Meh. 

Two of the symbols apparently represent a need for a break and a change in routine. Fortunately, I'm off to Montreal for a few days in two weeks.

I just hope I don't wake up in a strange hotel room with two people I've never met who produce indisputable proof that I've married a stranger in a drunken stupor.

Submitted for DreamQuest 2007

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.