A journal is something a person enters information about their life, usually on a day to day basis.

See more at: Diary, Web Journal

A magazine or periodical dedicated to a particular subject. Thousands of journals are published, encompassing most professional, technical, medical, academic, legal and hobby areas. Large college librarys may subscribe to hundreds of journals.

If you're thinking of starting a journal, or any other kind of chronological log, and for some sick reason you're content with saving all your entries in one long file in Microsoft Notepad, you can just insert the following text at the beginning (with the capital letters):
.LOG
All the times thereafter that you open the file in Notepad, it will automatically append the current date-and-time (in the following format: "12:00 AM 1/1/2001") and a newline character. The same effect may be attained by choosing "timestamp" from the "insert" menu as soon as you open the file, but this makes it automated.

It doesn't matter what you put after ".LOG", by the way, so you could put ".LOGs can provide warmth" as the first line of your journal - if that strikes your fancy - or whatever.


Another note about the formatting:
Txikwa says re Journal: Interesting. But I just tried it then and got 12:26 26/11/02 so it uses your local formatting.. This should have been obvious to me :P

Jour"nal (?), a. [F., fr. L. diurnalis diurnal, fr. diurnus belonging to the day, fr. dies day. See Diurnal.]

Daily; diurnal.

[Obs.]

Whiles from their journal labors they did rest. Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jour"nal, n. [F. journal. See Journal, a.]

1.

A diary; an account of daily transactions and events

. Specifically: (a) Bookkeeping

A book of accounts, in which is entered a condensed and grouped statement of the daily transactions.

(b) Naut.

A daily register of the ship's course and distance, the winds, weather, incidents of the voyage, etc.

(c) Legislature

The record of daily proceedings, kept by the clerk

. (d)

A newspaper published daily; by extension, a weekly newspaper or any periodical publication, giving an account of passing events, the proceedings and memoirs of societies, etc.

; a periodical; a magazine.

2.

That which has occurred in a day; a day's work or travel; a day's journey.

[Obs. & R.]

B. Jonson.

3. Mach.

That portion of a rotating piece, as a shaft, axle, spindle, etc., which turns in a bearing or box. See Illust. of Axle box.

Journal box, ∨ Journal bearing Mach. the carrier of a journal; the box in which the journal of a shaft, axle, or pin turns.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.