Bio

Jazz guitarist, born April 6, 1960, in Paterson, NJ. Pizzarelli has become of the main interpreters of what some call the Great American Songbook, performing classics of such luminaries as Nat "King" Cole, Frank Sinatra, and George Gershwin. In 1998 he also became interpreter of another famous songbook - the Beatles' - by recording Meets the Beatles, a set of jazz-style Beatles covers.

John Pizzarelli usually performs with his brother Martin on bass and Ray Kennedy on piano - the John Pizzarelli Trio. This drum-less trio has earned comparisons to another famous trio - the Nat "King" Cole Trio. Though flattered by the comparison, Pizzarelli makes it clear he's trying to do his own thing: "We aren’t trying to copy him. That sound was so singular and inspired. I’ve always said we’re an extension, a ‘90s version of what that group was." That extension was best shown on the Dear Mr. Cole and P.S. Mr. Cole albums, where the Trio performs a set of songs made famous by "King" Cole.

Pizzarelli's father, Bucky, is a famous jazz guitarrist and this family link brough John in close contact to musicians like Les Paul and Zoot Sims, when he was still very young. He has released records for the Chesky, Stash, Novus and RCA labels, and most recently signed to the Telarc label.

Discography

Sources


"John Pizzarelli". Bennett Morgan and Associated 
	(http://www.bennettmorgan.com/artistinfo/johnpizzarelli.html),
	accessed 01/04/03.

"John Pizzarelli". All Music Guide
	(http://www.allmusic.com/),
	accessed 01/04/03.

The John Pizzarelli Fan Page.
	(http://pizzarellifanpage.com/biography/biography.html),
	accessed 01/04/03.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.