Previous Chapter|Next Chapter


12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
12:2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
12:3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
12:4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
12:5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
12:6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
12:7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
12:8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.
12:9 Much people of the Jews therefore knew that he was there: and they came not for Jesus' sake only, but that they might see Lazarus also, whom he had raised from the dead.
12:10 But the chief priests consulted that they might put Lazarus also to death;
12:11 Because that by reason of him many of the Jews went away, and believed on Jesus.
12:12 On the next day much people that were come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem,
12:13 Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord.
12:14 And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, sat thereon; as it is written,
12:15 Fear not, daughter of Sion: behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass's colt.
12:16 These things understood not his disciples at the first: but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him.
12:17 The people therefore that was with him when he called Lazarus out of his grave, and raised him from the dead, bare record.
12:18 For this cause the people also met him, for that they heard that he had done this miracle.
12:19 The Pharisees therefore said among themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail nothing? behold, the world is gone after him.
12:20 And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast:
12:21 The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus.
12:22 Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus.
12:23 And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.
12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
12:25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.
12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.
12:28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.
12:29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.
12:30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.
12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
12:33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.
12:34 The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?
12:35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.
12:36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.
12:37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:
12:38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
12:39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
12:41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.
12:42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
12:43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.
12:44 Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
12:45 And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
12:46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
12:47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

Next Chapter

Everything King James Bible:John

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible
back to: John
Book: John
Chapter: 12

Overview:
Christ anointed By Mary. (1-11) He enters Jerusalem. (12-19)
Greeks apply to see Jesus. (20-26) A voice from Heaven bears
Testimony to Christ. (27-33) His discourse with the people.
(34-36) Unbelief of the Jews. (37-43) Christ's address to them.
(44-50)

1-11 Christ had formerly blamed Martha for being troubled with
much serving. But she did not leave off serving, as some, who
when found fault with for going too far in one way, peevishly
run too far another way; she still served, but within hearing of
Christ's gracious words. Mary gave a token of Love to Christ,
who had given real tokens of his Love to her and her family.
God's Anointed should be our Anointed. Has God poured On him the
Oil of gladness above his fellows, let us pour On him the
Ointment of our best affections. In Judas a foul Sin is gilded
over with a plausible pretence. We must not think that those do
No acceptable service, who do it not in our way. The reigning
Love of Money is Heart-Theft. The Grace of Christ puts kind
comments On pious words and actions, makes the best of what is
amiss, and the most of what is good. Opportunities are to be
improved; and those first and most vigorously, which are likely
to be the shortest. To consult to hinder the further effect of
the Miracle, By putting Lazarus to Death, is such wickedness,
malice, and folly, as cannot be explained, except By the
desperate Enmity of the human Heart against God. They resolved
that the Man should die whom the Lord had raised to Life. The
success of the Gospel often makes wicked men So angry, that they
speak and act as if they hoped to obtain a victory over the
Almighty himself.

12-19 Christ's riding in triumph to Jerusalem is recorded By
all the evangelists. Many excellent things, both in the Word and
Providence of God, disciples do not understand at their first
acquaintance with the things of God. The right understanding of
spiritual nature of Christ's kingdom, prevents our misapplying
the Scriptures which speak of it.

20-26 In attendance upon holy ordinances, particularly the
Gospel Passover, the great desire of our souls should be to see
Jesus; to see him as ours, to keep up Communion with him, and
derive Grace from him. The Calling of the Gentiles magnified the
Redeemer. A Corn of Wheat yields No increase unless it is cast
into the ground. Thus Christ might have possessed his heavenly
Glory alone, without becoming Man. Or, after he had taken Man's
nature, he might have entered Heaven alone, By his own perfect
Righteousness, without suffering or Death; but then No sinner of
the human race could have been saved. The Salvation of souls
hitherto, and henceforward to the End of time, is owing to the
dying of this Corn of Wheat. Let us search whether Christ be in
us the Hope of Glory; let us Beg him to make us indifferent to
the trifling concerns of this Life, that we may serve the Lord
Jesus with a willing mind, and follow his holy Example.

27-33 The Sin of our souls was the trouble of Christ's soul,
when he undertook to redeem and save us, and to make his soul an
Offering for our Sin. Christ was willing to suffer, yet prayed
to be saved from suffering. Prayer against trouble may Well
agree with patience under it, and submission to the will of God
in it. Our Lord Jesus undertook to satisfy God's injured honour,
and he did it By humbling himself. The voice of the Father from
Heaven, which had declared him to be his beloved Son, at his
Baptism, and when he was transfigured, was heard proclaiming
that He had both glorified his name, and would Glorify it.
Christ, reconciling the world to God By the merit of his Death,
broke the power of Death, and cast out Satan as a Destroyer.
Christ, bringing the world to God By the doctrine of his Cross,
broke the power of Sin, and cast out Satan as a deceiver. The
soul that was at a distance from Christ, is brought to Love him
and trust him. Jesus was now going to Heaven, and he would draw
men's hearts to him thither. There is power in the Death of
Christ to draw souls to him. We have heard from the Gospel that
which exalts free Grace, and we have heard also that which
enjoins duty; we must from the Heart embrace both, and not
separate them.

34-36 The people drew false notions from the Scriptures,
because they overlooked the prophecies that spoke of Christ's
sufferings and Death. Our Lord warned them that the Light would
not long continue with them, and exhorted them to walk in it,
before the Darkness overtook them. Those who would walk in the
Light must believe in it, and follow Christ's directions. But
those who have not Faith, cannot behold what is set forth in
Jesus, lifted up On the Cross, and must be strangers to its
influence as made known By the Holy Spirit; they find a thousand
objections to excuse their unbelief.

37-43 Observe the method of Conversion implied here. Sinners
are brought to see the reality of Divine things, and to have
some knowledge of them. To be converted, and truly turned from
Sin to Christ, as their Happiness and Portion. God will heal
them, will justify and sanctify them; will Pardon their sins,
which are as bleeding wounds, and mortify their corruptions,
which are as lurking diseases. See the power of the world in
smothering convictions, from regard to the applause or censure
of men. Love of the praise of men, as a By-End in that which is
good, will make a Man a Hypocrite when religion is in fashion,
and credit is to be got By it; and Love of the praise of men, as
a base principle in that which is evil, will make a Man an
apostate, when religion is in disgrace, and credit is to be lost
for it.

44-50 Our Lord publicly proclaimed, that every one who believed
On him, as his true Disciple, did not believe On him only, but
On the Father who sent him. Beholding in Jesus the Glory of the
Father, we learn to obey, Love, and trust in him. By daily
looking to Him, who came a Light into the world, we are more and
more freed from the Darkness of ignorance, error, Sin, and
misery; we learn that the command of God our Saviour is
Everlasting Life. But the same Word will Seal the condemnation
of all who despise it, or neglect it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.