American actor (1908-1997). He was born in Indiana, Pennsylvania, and attended Princeton University, where he studied architecture. He became an actor after graduation and was the first movie star to enter the service for World War II, joining a year before Pearl Harbor was bombed. He was initially refused entry into the Air Force because he weighed five pounds less than the required 148 pounds, but he talked the recruitment officer into ignoring the test. He eventually became a Colonel, and earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Croix de Guerre, and seven battle stars. In 1959, while serving in the Air Force Reserve, he became a brigadier general. He is the highest ranking actor in military history.

Stewart never took acting lessons, feeling he would learn more by acting, rather than studying how to act. Early in his career, he played lots of nice, shy characters, but he eventually became a dramatic actor, thanks to his performances in Alfred Hitchcock's suspense thrillers. He also starred in a large number of Westerns.

When he won the Best Actor Oscar in 1940 for "The Philadelphia Story," he sent the trophy to his father, who kept it on display in his hardware store for 25 years.

Stewart's films include "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "The Philadelphia Story," "It's a Wonderful Life," "Rope," "Harvey," "Rear Window," "The Glenn Miller Story," "The Spirit of St. Louis," "Vertigo," "How the West Was Won," "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," "The Cheyenne Social Club," "The Shootist," "Airport '77," and "An American Tail: Fievel Goes West."

Research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.