Position: Executive editor and anchor of The NewsHour on PBS.
Education: Associate of Arts from Victoria College and Bachelor of Journalism from University of Mississipi.
Awards:
  • National Humanities Medal
  • Television Hall of Fame inductee
  • Silver Circle of National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences inductee
  • 2 news & reporting Emmys
  • Fred Friendly First Amendment Award
  • George Foster Peabody Broadcast Award
  • William Allen White Foundation Award for Journalistic Merit
  • University of Missouri School of Journalism's Medal of Honor
Bio:

After working in the newspaper business for ten years, mainly for the Dallas Times-Herald, Lehrer began his career in public television, with KERA-TV in Dallas as executive director of public affairs and host. His career then took him to Washington, DC, where he signed on with PBS as their public affairs coรถrdinator. A member of PBS's Journalism Advisory Board, he was also a correspondent for the National Public Affairs Center for Television.

In 1973, Lehrer joined future co-anchor Robert MacNeil in covering the Watergate hearings for NPACT. Lehrer's next big break came in 1974, when he anchored PBS's reports on the House Judiciary Committee's impeachment inquiries into then-President Nixon.

The very next year, WNET-New York aired The Robert MacNeil Report, for which Lehrer was the Washington correspondent. That program (later renamed The MacNeil/Lehrer Report) aired until September of 1983, when the duo took a gamble—betting that the nation wanted an hour-long national news broadcast—and launched the MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour. Apparently, they were right; the program has stayed on the air to this day, though in 1995 MacNeil left the show under unknown circumstances and the show was renamed The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer.

In addition to his prolific television career, Lehrer has also written over a dozen books and plays. Married since 1960, he is a father of three.


Source: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/ww/jim_lehrer.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.