Musical piece written by the composers Klaus Hartmann, Hans Werner Henze, Paul Dessau, Boris Blacher and Rudolf Wagner-Regeny. The text was written by the East German Jens Gerlach.
In 1959, Christmas Eve, members of the Deutsche Reichspartei sprayed anti- semitic slogans on a newly opened synagogue in Cologne. The incident was deliberately played down by the Adenauer administration. As a gesture of solidarity, the earlier mentioned composers joined forces to create 'Jewish Chronicle'.
The work begins with a reference to the synagogue and ends with repeated call for vigilance. The work is set to be played for an orchestra without string instruments.

  • Prologue. This piece was composed by Boris Blacher and is written in a 'neutral' style: alto and baritone soloists dispassionately recount the evidence of a resurgence of neo-fascism, while a speaker ironically interjects two Nazislogans.
  • Second movement. Written by Wagner-Regeny, this part is written in simple chordal style, with distant brass chorales in 12-note writing punctuating. At the end two speakers join forces to issue a warning that silence is equal to quilt.
  • Ghetto, by Hartmann, recalls the story of the uprising in the Warshaw ghetto. The musical instruments, clarinet and oboe, weave with the baritone's narration. Heartbreaking quotes from three inmates are preceded by a violent outburst of a marimba or piano
  • Fourth movement. A joint collaboration of Henze and Dessau. Henze's part, a calm chorale, tells about the violent events in the ghetto after the uprising. Dessau describes the massacre of the ghetto's inhibitants.
  • Finale. By Dessau, returns basically to the text in the beginning. This time the narrator speaks in a precisely notated rhythm that progressively accelerates. In the closing a chorus ends by uttering warnings.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.