Jason is currently the starting point guard for the Memphis Grizzlies. He started out and played most of his college ball at the University of Florida, and was drafted by the Sacramento Kings; he played his rookie season in 98-99 where Jason put on a show! He was also a fan favorite as proved in the statistic that his jersey was the number one seller.

Friends and family also recognized his playing ability young. His friend and team mate (who currently plays for the Minnesota Vikings) Randy Moss once commented "I've never seen anyone work on their shot as much as Jason. He'd come to the gym directly after school and just shoot around until 12:00. I think the janitor just let him lock the doors himself."

In Jason's first season he helped lead his team to the NBA playoffs, somewhere the Kings hadn't been in a while. Jason paired with the off-season acquisitions of all stars Chris Webber and Vlade Divac landed the team the number 8 seed in the western conference. They had to play the Utah Jazz who had been to the finals each of the last two years. It would prove tough as Jason was matched up against arguably the greatest player at that position ever, John Stockton. The two were compared as mirror opposites, Stockton being very patient and looks to pass first while the flashy Williams was known to just randomly pull up and fire three pointers at will. The Jazz won the first contest but found themselves down 2-1 against a young youthful and fired up squad. With their backs against the wall Utah turned to savvy vet John Stockton who nailed the game winning jumper in the face of Williams with less then a second to go. It would go on to a final game only for the Kings to blow a 10-point lead and lose in overtime.

Williams came back fired up the following year only to be knocked out of the playoffs by the L.A. Lakers who would go on to win it all that year. The Kings did manage to push L.A. to five games but couldn’t quite get over the hump.

After a sub-par year in 00-01 Jason was traded in the off season to the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for Mike Bibby. Williams has openly expressed that he doesn’t like his new team making it clear to everyone he doesn’t like it in Memphis.

Although Jason is fun to watch and all is he really the leader you want for your team? He has lead the league in turnovers since he has joined and has had the worst field goal percentage in two out of three years. Those are the two main reasons Sacramento traded him for the milder Bibby. So although he doesn’t always perform up to par he continues sell tickets and jerseys.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.